Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Command prompt opened and closed at startup.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mikkymouse999

mikkymouse999

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:28 PM

My computer was recently infected with a pretty deep-rooted virus.  I had it cleaned at my local computer technician but I'm not covinced it is 100% clean - especially since until recently command prompt kept opening and then closing itself several times over at startup.

Some background - until recently I was applying for jobs via a number of job websites.  Unfortunately, I was sent a bogus offer of employment by a phisher, clicked on a link and all hell was let loose.  As mentioned I got my computer cleaned out although the technician would not reveal exactly what it was that infected my computer as he stated he did not want to simultaneously reveal the in-house anti-malware programme the store used... - nevertheless I started receiving phisihing attempts by the dozen to my email address some of which were highly sophisiticated and after being caught out again, then having my computer cleaned again and then receiving even ore bogus offers of employment I purchased Eset security suite to get some top-of-the-line protection.  I have enlisted ESET remote support to double-check my computer and the technician seemed pretty certain it was clean.  However, the definitive cause as to why command prompt continued to open and close at startup could not be ascertained.  I have trawled the internet for advice on causes and solutions and have tried numerous suggestions.  Unfortunately the problem I have now is although I seemed to have stopped command prompt popping up, I'm not sure what it was that was causing it, and particularly since it may have been a virus and the information on what command prompt was trying to load at startup is no longer available to me since it has now stopped, I am not sure the root cause has been solved.  

OS is Windows 10.  Have Autoruns installed and have checked task manager for startup programmes.  Any advice on securing my email from phishers/spammers would be appreciated - using Outlook.  Also 

Please help!

Thanks

mikkymouse99

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:58 AM

Hello please repost this... Do steps 6 and7...

Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:17 AM

Did the DOS command box stay open long enough for you see the name of the EXE that is involved?  I ask because I have one that pops up for a few seconds and then is gone, it is from something in the task scheduler.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users