Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Help Needed. PSU? Mobo?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 natertots

natertots

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:23 PM

First off I just want to say to anyone who offers assistance, or even input, I am extremely grateful.  Little background.  Built my second PC in Feb of 2017.  First build went as you could imagine, but in the end it worked out.  Second Build went smooth no issues and has worked great, until today.  All the parts were brand new when I bought them.

Computer Specs:

CPU- i5-6500

GPU - EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Motherboard - ASUS z170-E

PSU - EVGA 650w Supernova G2 Gold

2 HDD - 1SSD and 1HDD that never have had any issues.  Recently started using an external about a week ago for files and some games.

So today I woke up, no work, so go on the PC to do some gaming.  I say I play a few hours a day maybe 3-4 times per week.  Sometimes more depending on if I have the day off.  Anyways, all was fine today from about 7 am until 3 pm.  I was playing games as I usually do and browsing the web.  I started up Fortnite and grabbed an old mic and plugged it into the front of my case.  Had some issues getting it working so I went into the device manager to set it up and all of sudden PC went off.  At first I thought the power went out.  Tried rebooting and starting it up, nothing.  Been trying a variety of things and have had no luck.  I can put a PC together but when it comes to issues like this I am pretty lost.

One thing I do notice when I have the PSU turned on there is a very small green LED to the left of the power LED that blinks every 3-5 seconds and there is a faint beeping/chirping/whine sound.  Kind of like it wants to start but it cant.  I took out the PSU and did the "paperclip test" with the tool EVGA provided.  The fan turned on and it seems like the PSU is okay, but I know that just because it passes that test it still might not be giving out enough juice.  When it was plugged in with the keyboard and mouse (they are backlit), the lights on the peripherals would flicker very quickly every few seconds.  The PSU didn't seem hot when I inspected it right after the incident.  If anyone has any input, or ideas, I'd be so appreciative.  I am not sure if that LED blinking is some type of code.  The ASUS manual makes no mention of blinking LED lights.  If I can offer any more information just let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:37 PM

Sounds like a dud power supply

It happens even some of the better ones on the market

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 natertots

natertots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:04 PM

Thanks.  I will try pick up a new one this weekend.  Any recommendations?  

Edited by natertots, 08 January 2018 - 09:06 PM.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:06 PM

In terms of power consumption you are okay, you are not overclocking right?

If you are you may want to get more wattage but 650 seems fine for a 1070 and your setup.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 natertots

natertots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

Not overclocking at the moment.  I might be upgrading to a 1080ti in a few months.  I probably will stay with at least 650w.  No plans on OCing CPU any time soon, but might upgrade to a i7.  What would you recommend as far as brands go?

Edited by natertots, 08 January 2018 - 09:17 PM.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:24 PM

If going to a 1080Ti then yes get a more powerful power supply.

As for PSU brands take a look at this:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

Your EVGA was a tier 1 but again that doesnt make it immune to possible issues during manufacturing, I would stick to EVGA as they do have great warranties.

Hey despite your issue I would still look for a model from them, again even if you went with another brand they all have issues even with their best supplies.

As for processor change, not really needed.

Your core i5 is more than suitable for the task of gaming.

Pairing it with a 1080Ti is a bit of a mismatch though.

Unless you are going to go full on 4k then changing your setup seems a bit of a shame as you got good parts.

And even with 4K the i5 you have is still good at that, its not the best but it will still work.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#7 natertots

natertots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:33 PM

I may give EVGA a ring since the PSU isn't even a year old yet and see what they can do for me.  The place I bough it at might even replace it, hopefully.  I just don't want to wait weeks for EVGA to send me a replacement.  I might just send this one back to EVGA if it's under warranty and grab another for a spare just in case this happens in the future.  I might just keep my right as it is for a while then.  I have a 1440p 144hz monitor and every game I have played so far I've been able to run silky smooth.  Thanks for the input.  Hoping to get this sorted out on Friday.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:42 PM

Yeah i would worry about the PSU first.

As for hardware changes if you are happy with what you have dont change a thing.

If for performance gains then its not with the investment as new GPU's are bound to roll out here soon with Nvidia volta pushing out with AMD not too far behind with future refinements to vega.

Dont bother with the 1080Ti unless you are really hardcore about 4K

Edited by MadmanRB, 08 January 2018 - 09:43 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#9 natertots

natertots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for the advice.  I did some researching and I might get a nice seasonic, corsair or another EVGA.  I am not going to skimp on the cost either, I know PSU quality is very important.  I will do some research during the week and swing by Microcenter when I go by there on Friday.  I'll hold off on the GPU, at the very least the new voltas will knock down the price on the 1080s.  Thanks again for your response.  I'll post back here this weekend after I get the new PSU and update the thread.  

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:00 PM

Cool, I have a Micro center nearby here too so lucky you 

Sure mine is about a half hour away on a good day but hey its there

Got my processor, memory and motherboard there :D

Edited by MadmanRB, 08 January 2018 - 10:00 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:20 AM

If it is the PSU (sounds a strong possibility) and you only built it last year it will be under warranty.  In fact EVGA say they have a 7 year warranty on that particular model - https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-g2-0650-y1

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users