Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trackingcookie?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Framed

Framed

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:47 AM

Whenever I run Ewido anti spyware or adaware SE personal, I get alot of these TrackingCookie.<random name here>. I hit the clean and quarantine and sometimes try to delete them and I run the scan again and the same ones come back up. I tried it in safe mode too but no help.

Are these bad? Can I delete them, if so how?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:55 AM

Cookies are messages given to a Web browser by a Web server. Whenever you visit a page with your browser, the browser stores the message in a text file that is sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. Cookies allow third-party providers such as ad serving networks, spyware or adware providers to track personal information. The main purpose of cookies is to identify users and prepare customized Web pages for them.

Cookies can be categorized as:

* Trusted cookies are from sites you trust, use often, and want to be able to identify and personalize content for you.
* Nuisance cookies are from those sites you do not recognize or often use but somehow it's put a cookie on your machine.
* Bad cookies are those that can be linked to an ad company or something that tracks your movements across the web.

The type of cookie that is a cause for concern is the last category because they are used to track your Web browsing habits (your movement from site to site). Ad companies use them to record your activity on all sites where they have placed ads. When you visit one of these sites, a cookie is placed on your computer. Each time you visit another site that hosts one of their ads, that same cookie is read, and soon they have assembled a list of which of their sites you have visited and which of their ads that you have clicked on. They are used all over the Internet and advertisement companies often plant them whenever your browser loads one of their banners.

These bad cookies are called "profiling cookies," "persistent cookies," "long term tracking cookies," "third party tracking cookies" or simply "tracking cookies." Although these cookies are not malware, they can be considered a privacy risk and you may want to clean them out periodically.

See Blocking Unwanted Cookies
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/cookies.htm
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users