Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is an iPhone 4 worth having and using anymore now days?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Punchy71

Punchy71

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:17 PM

Hi, 

I might be able to get a good deal on a used iPhone 4 in good condition. My question is simply this, is an iPhone 4 even worth having and usable anymore now days? It was first released way back in 2010, so it's an 8 year old iPhone now. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:40 PM

Hi Punchy71,

In a nutshell the iPhone 4 is still usable, however is it worth having? IMO my answer is no, which is based on security. The iPhone 4 can only run (or be updated) to iOS 9.3.5 leaving the phone vulnerable which is a critical concern at the current time with anything technology. (Apple released iOS 11.2.2 today as a security update.)

Not knowing what features you need (or are looking for) with a phone, for pros/cons about the iPhone 4, take a look at this article: https://www.getorchard.com/blog/iphone-4-still-good/

Please note that the article is not the end all be all about the iPhone 4, however the author does a better job than I can covering the following examples:

*The iPhone 4: Dated, Dusty, or Desired?

*What makes the iPhone 4 Still A Good Phone?

*Staying Connected

*Downloading and Using Simple Apps

*Speed (Or Lack thereof)

*Limited Features

Good luck and I hope that you find a great phone!

#3 Punchy71

Punchy71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:00 PM

Well, if I decided I don't want to update the software or firmware in the phone or subscribe to a local cell network provider, I can still use it as a pocket watch can't I?

#4 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:57 PM

You sure can use it as a pocket watch! In fact, the trend right now is to keep a phone in the back pocket...never thought it was to keep time!  :lmao: Without a cell network provider with access to WiFi or cellular data, you are not able to download iPhone apps to enjoy, even if they do not require the Internet or cellular data. However, these features came with the iPhone 4, which might be handy: 

Clock (Plus Alarm, Stopwatch, Timer) 
Contacts 
Calendar 
Camera/Photos/Videos
Calculator
Reminders/Notes
Compass

#5 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:43 AM

Not to mention it also makes a decent MP3 player if you can get a decent deal on it.  :tophat:

| IT Service Tech | A+ Certified | Computer Gamer | iPhone Expert |

nIDwkQT.gif

#6 MusicalMagpie

MusicalMagpie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:49 PM

My first iPhone was a 4S. When I upgraded to a 5S, my husband adopted the 4S. He is still happily using it (with the current IOS installed).

My husband uses the 4S to text, phone, and email, look up stuff, take and organize photos, watch videos, and play endless games of solitaire and cribbage.

At one point I tried to talk him into getting a 6, as he is a tall man with big hands that dwarf the tiny phone. He likes the small size, though - it fits nicely into the inner pocket of his coat.  He has become adept at one-finger texting, and uses SIRI dictation. He keeps the phone on an Apple charger/keyboard on his desk.

I recently moved up to a 5SE and offered the 5S to my husband. At first he said he didn't want to give up his beloved 4S - but after playing with the 5S he did admit that some of the features were pretty cool.  We shall see.

#7 daliaeurope

daliaeurope

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:45 AM

I have a 4S for my daughter and it's one of the best phones ever. It fell hundreds of times, one time even in the toilet :-) and after it was fixed, now 2 years later still works perfectly. 

#8 RossTeagan

RossTeagan

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:24 AM

Even if I am mainly an iPhone user, I can't recommend the iPhone 4 in 2018. For the same price, or even cheaper there are several Android alternatives (even from Samsung) that are newer and have bigger screens (because this is the main issue I think the iPhone 4 has, the screen is too small).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users