Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I replace this hard disk? (Crystaldiskinfo question)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SomeDudeOverHere

SomeDudeOverHere

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:06 PM

hlmuaVr.png

Anyway, it started with a KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR BSOD while I was playing Factorio.

This is how it looks like right now. My computer's been having issues since a few days ago. The computer stalls permanently after a while when I try to open Chrome (not Mozilla oddly enough). I actually had a problem with a seemingly corrupt profile on Windows (password wouldn't work), had to go through several hoops in startup recovery for it to stop doing that and now it's even slower than usual but it regains it's vigor after about 10 minutes, working without any issue (seems that way), to the point I can even game.

So, what do you guys think? Back all of that up and transfer it all to a new HDD? Also, does anyone have some trustworthy backup programs so I can immediately transfer already installed programs without having to go through installing them all again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:16 PM

your getting a warning, time to backup and replace!

if you wait you risk losing data.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:25 PM

You have 4 sectors that can not be read and are awaiting relocation when they can be read. 4 sectors is nothing to be worried about unless these 4 sectors are holding important data or are in the boot area. I would keep an eye out on the pending sector count. If you see it increasing then it may be time for a new drive.

Instead of Crystal Info use WD hard drive diagnostic and do the short/long test. In any case if the data on the drive is not backed up to another device, back it up.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3

34 Degrees is warm but I don't think it's anything to worry about. Modern drives have a maximum operating temperature of 60 degrees Celsius.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/193771en

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/wd-red-safe-operating-temperature.17359/

http://www.buildcomputers.net/hdd-temperature.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 January 2018 - 04:27 PM.

#4 SomeDudeOverHere

SomeDudeOverHere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

What about all these occurrences though?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,653 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

Could be a Windows glitch because of the sectors that were marked bad and could not be reallocated. The Read error rate is high but that RAW attribute can be high and the drive still function.

https://superuser.com/questions/393257/brand-new-seagate-hdd-has-high-raw-read-error-rate

In any case I would run the WD diagnostic. 

#6 SomeDudeOverHere

SomeDudeOverHere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:47 PM

Test Option:

QUICK TEST Model Number: WDC WD10EARX-32N0YB0 Unit Serial Number: WD-WCC0S0922604 Firmware Number: 51.0AB51 Capacity: 1000.20 GB SMART Status: PASS Test Result: FAIL Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 102 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2! Test Time: 22:45:44, January 08, 2018

Test Option: QUICK TEST Model Number: WDC WD10EARX-32N0YB0 Unit Serial Number: WD-WCC0S0922604 Firmware Number: 51.0AB51 Capacity: 1000.20 GB SMART Status: PASS Test Result: FAIL Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2! Test Time: 22:46:26, January 08, 2018

---------------------------

Quick test seems to be failing.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,653 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:52 PM

If this drive is under warranty RMA it back to the place of purchase or contact Western Digital telling them the drive failed WD diagnostic. Back up your data immediately.

#8 SomeDudeOverHere

SomeDudeOverHere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

It's certainly not under warranty, so I guess I'll just get a new one and backup it when I get it.

Can I ask about backup/regedit over here or should I change board?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,653 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:02 PM

Transferring programs/settings from a failing drive is problematic. The only program that I know of that can do this is Laplink. I would email any questions to their support site.

Another option that may work would be to clone the failing drive to the good drive but on a failing drive this may not work. You can do a straight up clone using any of the following software

Macrium Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Easeus Todo Backup Free

If you want to spend some time reading linux has a program called ddrescue that will attempt to read a sector 3 times before moving to the next sector. Your new drive would need to be at least as large as the failing drive. See the below guide. It explains on how to create an image but also how to clone from one drive to another.

https://html5.litten.com/make-full-image-of-broken-raw-infected-or-encrypted-hard-drive-with-free-tools/

Edit: I assume this is a desktop drive as the drive is 3.5. If you have a spare SATA cable switch it out and run the test again.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 January 2018 - 05:16 PM.

#10 SomeDudeOverHere

SomeDudeOverHere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:15 PM

Well thanks, I'll look around to see if I can get something even more specific. I'm really not in the mood to reinstall windows just to go through the tedium of downloading every year's Visual C++ and other applications that just beg to be installed again and again just to have everything function.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,653 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:18 PM

I cross posted. Try switching out the SATA cable and run the test again. In any case I would back up your important personal data first before attempting the clone or doing another test if the data has not been backed up.

#12 SomeDudeOverHere

SomeDudeOverHere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:29 PM

So I guess I'll still buy a new HDD anyway. Well, I'm preparing myself for backing up everything and I'll test this old HDD when I get my new one. 

EDIT: Also, thanks for the help.

Edited by SomeDudeOverHere, 08 January 2018 - 05:48 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,653 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:50 PM

No Problem, post back an update if you get the time. Thanks.

#14 SomeDudeOverHere

SomeDudeOverHere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:13 PM

Didn't have the time even after I got the hard disk to do anything with this bleep. Somehow my Windows didn't work anymore and had to reinstall it. Now I'm having problems with getting everything to work again. How much I hate deja-vus. I wanted to say though, that the Quick Test did work after changing cable, but the situation was still the same. Now I'm not going to bother with testing it since I couldn't even backup one single file from the hard with Aomei and I tried cloning with Easeus but for some reason I had issues with "unallocated space" not being enough, which is odd when I had 1.5 TB of unallocated space. 

Now I'm trying to find a way to fix my registry so I don't have to reinstall all this garbage. I think I might just make another thread on the forums in some adequate place on how to salvage my registry backup and how to basically force feed my drivers and Windows folder to the new one I have.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,653 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:30 PM

Did you attempt a disk to disk clone or simply create a disk image. You can only clone from one drive to a clean drive with no data unless you want it wiped.

Your registry backup is in C:\Windows\System32\config\Regback. All hives are there except the Components hive, located in the config folder, which stores your Windows updates. 

You may want to boot a live linux disk and see if you can copy using it. Take Windows out of the picture. I would recommend Mint Cinnamon. 

https://linuxmint.com/

Burn the iso to a DVD. When booting Mint do not input anything during boot. Wait until you are at the desktop. Click the Computer icon. You drive will be in the lower left pane. You can copy from the drive to another internal drive or a USB external drive. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users