Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compability issues

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kos21

kos21

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:13 PM

Hello 
I have a gigabyte ga-ex58ud4p motherboard and I want to buy a graphic card gigabyte GeForce Gtx 1060 g1 gaming 3g.
I would like to ask you if the graphic card have compatibility issues or performance issues with the motherboard(because this motherboard is an old model and the graphic card is a new model) 
Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:33 PM

As near as I can figure the motherboard has PCIE 2 slots and the GTX 1060 is PCIE 3.  The card should work, but only at PCIE 2 speeds. If you upgrade to a PCIE3 motherboard later you will be able to get full PCIE3 speed.  Another thing to look at when upgrading the video card is the power supply, minimum of 400 watts for the 1060.

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:53 PM

PCI Express speed makes no speed difference. However unless your motherboards supports UEFI, you cannot get PCI Express 3.0 working.

Quick google says that motherboard does not have UEFI BIOS. You may check that yourself though.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:32 PM

It should work however your processor will be a bottleneck so keep that in mind.

You may actually want to save some money by going to a GTX 1050 or 1050Ti instead of the 1060 with some of that money saved to possibly invest in newer hardware or get something that will help even more in gaming like a SSD.

Do you have information on your processor?

Would like to see if getting a GPU will actually help you out.

If this is say a Pentium from a few years ago... yeah you may want to start devoting resources to other parts.

Edited by MadmanRB, 08 January 2018 - 03:34 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 kos21

kos21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:33 PM

My processor: Intel Core i7 920 @2.67GHz

Ram : 6GB DDR3

I found these cards ASUS GT730-2GD5-BRK (https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/GT730-SL-2GD5-BRK/)

ASUS GT730-2GD5-BRK (https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/GT7302GD5BRK/)

Much cheaper than the GTX1060 and much better than the old i had (https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N295-18I-B#sp) and with no compability issues(i think)...

Tell me your thoughts...

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

Well in that case i would go for the GTX 1050 or 1050Ti, they offer more compatibility for newer standards like Direct X 12 and even Vulkan

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 kos21

kos21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:41 PM

Will the 1050 work well with this old pc i have? 

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:47 PM

I see no reason why it shouldnt, like pointed out a pci express 3 card will work in a pci express 2 slot.

The only thing i would worry about is the size of your case and power supply but those we can tackle.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,314 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:22 AM

I see no reason why it shouldnt, like pointed out a pci express 3 card will work in a pci express 2 slot.

The only thing i would worry about is the size of your case and power supply but those we can tackle.

PCI Express 3.0 video cards usually demand UEFI BIOS. Without it, they usually wouldn't work. Since that motherboard does not have UEFI BIOS imo, only PCI Express 2.0 cards work surely.

There are however some PCI Express 3.0 cards with UEFI and legacy BIOS support. I doubt linked ones are that type.

Also, GTX295 is much faster than GT730. Feature wise GT730 is of course much better.

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:54 AM

I didn't know that was "a thing" to be honest.  Got any good links summing up the issues with UEFI/BIOS and graphics cards? I do vaguely remember reading about some manufactured (e.g. HP) newer PC's having issues with older graphics cards refusing to work. IIRC it was linked to the default configuration being UEFI with secure boot enabled, and CSM disabled.  The solution being to disable secure boot and enable CSM...

Digging around I found this discussion on another forum which has some interesting points made - https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=118502

Edited by jonuk76, 09 January 2018 - 03:55 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:15 AM

The thing is i have seen it work on videos on installing modern gpu's in legacy hardware, as long as its PCI express compatible it seems like its possible.

I have seen videos on pairing a old duo 2 quad with a 1050.

Plus legacy booting is what I do to ensure linux works on my hardware, I had my GTX 1060 working in my old setup with UEFI turned off as it had a dual BIOS built in.

In any case it wont hurt to try it, after all if it doesnt work they can save up some money and get new hardware and they would already have a good GPU nailed down.

Even if they went for cheapo parts such as a AM4 A320 with a AMD A8-9600 and a single sick of 8GB of Ram they would at least be able to move forward with what they have.

Put together it would be around $220 so if they wanted to change out their hardware now it would be for around the same price as the 1050Ti

Sure thats not the best setup but it would do if they had to crunch numbers.

Heck they could skip the GPU for now and go on board apu for now as sure it would not be the best but the radeon R7 series can still do some minor gaming until they can pony up for a GPU

Edited by MadmanRB, 09 January 2018 - 05:36 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,314 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:33 AM

The thing is i have seen it work on videos on installing modern gpu's in legacy hardware, as long as its PCI express compatible it seems like its possible.

I have seen videos on pairing a old duo 2 quad with a 1050.

Plus legacy booting is what I do to ensure linux works on my hardware, I had my GTX 1060 working in my old setup with UEFI turned off as it had a dual BIOS built in.

I have put PCI Express 3.0 cards on old machines that work. However I have also experienced cases where PCI Express 3.0 card just refuses to even POST because of non-UEFI BIOS.

So this is somewhat complicated thing.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 09 January 2018 - 07:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users