Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer only starts when I disconnect and reconnect power supply

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lindafran

lindafran

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:34 AM

I have a 7 year old Gateway desktop that was working perfect until the other day. It suddenly stopped but the fan was still going. I unplugged the computer and I went inside the case and disconnected the power supply and hard drive then reconnected them. I turned the computer on, then a beep, and it was fine. When I shut down the computer did not start up again. So I disconnected the power supply and hard rive and then it powered up again. What's going on here? How do I fix it, if at all?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

Strange Problem. This is Windows 7?  I would attempt a powercycle. Remove your power cord and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power cord and boot. After a boot, if it boots, open a command prompt and type:

shutdown /f /s /t 0

Does the computer boot properly? This may be a PSU issue. Is the problem fixed by disconnecting only the PSU and not the PSU and  hard drive?

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:14 PM

The power supply has failed.  The PS has circuits that will not restart unless the potential voltages have dropped to zero.  Powering off does n't allow the circuit to drain off, resulting in a failure to start.  Unplugging from the wall or outlet allows the voltages to drop to zero, allowing a good start up.  Replacement is called for.

#4 lindafran

lindafran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:15 PM

The power supply has failed.  The PS has circuits that will not restart unless the potential voltages have dropped to zero.  Powering off does n't allow the circuit to drain off, resulting in a failure to start.  Unplugging from the wall or outlet allows the voltages to drop to zero, allowing a good start up.  Replacement is called for.

Thank you for your reply. If the power supply has failed why does the computer still turn on? Is there a fix to drain the circuit when I shut off normally?

Edited by lindafran, 08 January 2018 - 03:15 PM.

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 585 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

It's probably a failure of the protection circuit or a circuit that monitors a specific voltage when you shutdown and since the voltage cant drain to zero properly when plugged in then that is why unplugging the power supply drains it to zero.

it's not a failure of the operation power supply voltages itself.

#6 lindafran

lindafran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:26 PM

It's probably a failure of the protection circuit or a circuit that monitors a specific voltage when you shutdown and since the voltage cant drain to zero properly when plugged in then that is why unplugging the power supply drains it to zero.

it's not a failure of the operation power supply voltages itself.

What is the fix for this, in any?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

As mjd420nova posted, you need a new PSU. You don't want to be messing around the inside of a PSU. People have been killed doing that.

#8 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 585 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:14 PM

yep, replace the power supply! 

#9 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:52 AM

You don't want to be messing around the inside of a PSU. People have been killed doing that.

This can't be stressed enough. I got quite the burn on my hand once when I brushed it up against a PSU in a TV when I was on a site doing a repair. Got quite the shock let me tell you. 

Buy a new PSU and call it a day. They're really not too expensive anyways. 

Edited by C0bra, 09 January 2018 - 10:53 AM.

| IT Service Tech | A+ Certified | Computer Gamer | iPhone Expert |

nIDwkQT.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users