Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Errorlog.tmp Stops Zonealarm Update

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 whatapalaver

whatapalaver

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:56 AM

Good morning,

I cannot install a ZoneAlarm update. I am told -

>>c:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\ErrorLog.tmp" could not be found. Access denied<<

Is there a way to recover this missing file.

I have looked into c:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs. ErrorLog.tmp is not there.

Best wishes, whatapalaver

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:11 AM

I'd suggest that, to start, you uninstall Zone Alarm and then reinstall the latest version that's downloadable from their website.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:13 PM

You can download the latest version here:

ZoneAlarm (freeware) V. 6.5.722
http://www.download.com/ZoneAlarm/3000-10435_4-10039884.html
(you can have only one software firewall running. More than one will conflict)

There was just an update yesterday so after you install it try to update it and of course, get the current definitions too.

#4 whatapalaver

whatapalaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:20 PM

I removed ZoneAlarm as advised and the new version will not go in. It will not install. Access is denied because ErrorLog.tmp has gone AWOL.

I have tried many times - with the same result.

>>c:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\ErrorLog.tmp" could not be found. Access denied<<

All I have is the Microsoft firewall.

Suggestions please.

Cheers. whatapalaver

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:32 PM

Uh, I have Windows XP2 and Zone Alarm Free installed. I do not have that file--Error log.tmp. I only looked in the location you gave.
Just did a search--no such file

Edited by buddy215, 28 September 2006 - 05:37 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:40 PM

This is interesting whatapalaver,as I have Zone Alarm,and in C/Windows/Internet Logs there is no "ErrorLog.temp" file.
Have you ever tried going for Zone Alarm help @ http://www.donhoover.net/
Edit; That darn dialup delay!
There must also be a forum at http://www.zonelabs.com/

Edited by TMacK, 28 September 2006 - 05:46 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:17 PM

This is very, very strange! I'd first suggest that you visit http://safety.live.com/ and perform a free scan of your system.

It sounds like something is preventing Zone Alarm from working - and it could be malware!

FWIW - I don't have that on any of my PC's here or at the office - and I've had both ZA Free and ZA Pro installed on some of them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:37 PM

Fact: When Zone Alarm installs, it consolidates error logs into C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\errorlog.txt.
Guess: when something goes bad, they put it into \windows\internet logs possibly as .tmp. I never had an installation failure, so don't know what to suspect other than non-admin rights ("Access denied" might be it).

Example of errorlog.txt under no failures scenario

# This file is created by a ZoneLabs installer to report errors encountered in the install process.
# Log created 09/13/06 21:05:19
# Installing ZoneAlarm Security Suite on Windows version: 5.1.2600
# Computer name: <my computer>
# Command Line =
All Errorlogs consolidated.
Result of inuse check: Non-Existant
Finished with logging Installer messages.

Perhaps someone can now put these pieces together.

Edited by tos226, 28 September 2006 - 06:41 PM.

#9 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:38 PM

hi, whatapalaver,

there is some info on the link below that may help:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/m...essage.id=38864

good luck

#10 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:47 PM

rubiconeye, Looks like we're typing at the same time :thumbsup:

That is one of their very loooooong and tedious procedures which are no longer needed under v6 because their /clean switch in 99% does the job fine. It does not mean your link is not relevant, so it's a good link but has been superceeded.

The problem I have with that thread is that the person was installing and uninstalling in safe mode. That's not correct. Uninstalling other than by the ZA's own uninstaller is also not a good idea.

Edited by tos226, 28 September 2006 - 06:47 PM.

#11 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:53 PM

cheers, tos226,

i dont use zonealarm but saw that forum and thought of this topic!

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:07 PM

Hi tos226, I just followed the trail you mentioned in post 8 and confirmed it is on my computer.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#13 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:23 PM

buddy215, thanks for checking. That should help diagnose for someone.

Access denied, is normally related to insufficient permissions (if dealing with your own computer, not going after some file or site on the web).
To install ZA requires admin priviledges, or be an administrator. It seems to me ZA is trying to create that file or even the Internet Logs directory, and you have no permission to do so.
If ZA can't create the directory, it can't write that temporary .tmp file either.

Do you have windows\internet logs directory?

Cheers to all. That's all I can add.

#14 whatapalaver

whatapalaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:35 AM

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone who has replied. Secondly, there is still a problem, but it is slightly different.

This morning I tried again to install ZoneAlarm and the same ‘block’ was there. It is definitely a .tmp file and not a .txt file that has gone AWOL.

Because there are many gigabytes of irreplaceable data in this machine I grasp at security straws. GreenBorder was installed a month ago. It is a sandboxie type programme and I have it on a year’s free trial. At first, there were a few hiccups but then GreenBorder settled down. However, this morning I wondered if it could be the cause of my woes, so I disabled it and tried again to install ZoneAlarm.

I thought ZoneAlarm was going to go in, but then I got this message -

>>‘You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please run this installation from an administrator account [srescan]. The handle is invalid”.<<

That didn’t make much sense to me, but the positive response from ZoneAlarm to the disablement of GreenBorder was encouraging. Thinking that perhaps GreenBorder does not like ZoneAlarm, I completely removed it and tried again to install Zone Alarm.

The installation seemed to be going well, until I got this message -

>>”Cannot determine your currently installed version. Your programme may be installed incorrectly”<<

I changed tack and decided to completely remove ZoneAlarm before installing it again. I used Add/Remove and then I opened Programme Files and deleted the redundant ZoneAlarm folder.

I tried once more to reinstall ZoneAlarm and got another message -

>>“Initializing Verifying installed components. Please note – may take several minutes to complete”<<

After a long wait, another message -

>>Setup was unable to log into the TruVector Service. Install cannot continue without logging into the TruVector service. Use the service manager to shut down the TruVector service and then restart the installation programme.”<<

So I’m at a loss again because I’m not sure what the last message means – though I do know that TruVector is needed by ZoneAlarm.

Question: What and where is the service manager and how can I get it to shut down the TruVector service?

Question: Did I remove the TruVector service when I deleted the apparently redundant ZoneAlarm folder that was in Programme Files, ie, after I had removed ZoneAlarm with the Add/Remove facility?

I have now decided that because I do not venture into the nether regions of the internet, GreenBorder should not be put back. But it seemed a good idea at the time.

Please can someone tell me what to do next?

Best wishes. whatapalaver

#15 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:16 AM

This must be frustrating whatapalaver!
Have a look at This Forum Article where the person had problems like yours when he uninstalled ZoneAlarm.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users