Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen of death (STOP:0x000000F4) 3 minutes upon booting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 blank123xyz

blank123xyz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:38 PM

Hi everyone,

I am currently running a Windows 7 system.

Shortly after booting (perhaps 3-5 minutes in), my computer will flicker to Windows Basic, and then show me the blue screen of death. It says STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFFA800A621B10, 0xFFFFFA800A621DF0, 0xFFFFF800037DEE40). I let it run for about 2 minutes but the blue screen doesn't go away, so I push and hold the power button to restart. Upon restarting, I instantly get put into UEFI and no matter how I try to exit, I get instantly sent back into UEFI. I can only manage to boot by cutting power abruptly (unplugging) and then trying to power up. (Works 1 time per 10 tries) But after I successfully boot into Windows, I can use the computer normally. The problem only occurs after I shutdown.

Things I have tried to do to troubleshoot:
1. Booting into Ubuntu from USB stick and it works fine, I could do work for an hour without any crashes
2. CrystalDiskinfo shows healthy for both my SSD (my boot drive) and HDD (purely for storage)
3. Windows Memory Diagnostic didn't find any errors
4. Scannow and Chkdsk didn't find any errors on either drive
5. I have also reseated my SATA cables for both drives and my RAM. I even tried swapping SATA ports for my boot drive.
6. Windows Reliability Monitor flags "Windows was not properly shut down".

Things I have installed lately:
Trend Micro Internet Security

Somehow if the "Welcome" message from Trend Micro doesn't pop up, I know a crash is imminent. I did a full uninstall and fresh re-install with tools from their customer service rep, but the problem still persists.

Can anyone give me some advice for this? I will really appreciate any sort of help I can get for this.

Computer specs (desktop built in 2014):
Core i5-4570
Asrock H87M Pro4
Kingston 8GB RAM
Crucial 120GB SSD
Toshiba 2TB HDD
MSI R9 270X
Seasonic 620W PSU

Windows 7 64-bit OEM

Thanks!

Attached Files

Edited by blank123xyz, 08 January 2018 - 12:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:10 PM

Hi there,

First off your "storage" drive has some file system corruption:

Event[5519]:
  Log Name: System
  Source: Ntfs
  Date: 2017-12-29T10:33:54.776
  Event ID: 55
  Task: N/A
  Level: Error
  Opcode: N/A
  Keyword: Classic
  User: N/A
  User Name: N/A
  Computer: Owner-PC
  Description:
The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume D:.

I would suggest you physically remove it from the system for now and see if it makes a difference. Don't run CHKDSK quite yet until you have backups of the data on it — if the drive is physically failing it may make it worse.

There are no minidumps in the SFCA output. This is likely because of CCleaner's setting to delete crash dumps; hence please stop using CCleaner for now.

Please run Speccy as requested in the BSOD posting instructions if possible too.

0xF4s are pretty often caused by drive problems in my experience, so we definitely want to keep that in mind. Thus I would suggest you start these hardware diagnostics www.carrona.org/initdiag.html Note that these are just initial diagnostics, and I'll probably ask you to run more later if need be. Try to run MemTest86 for eight passes, one stick at a time. Also, since you have an SSD, try updating the firmware and see whether if it helps.

If you're able to remove TrendMicro from the system, I would do so — just to rule it out. You can replace your antivirus temporarily with Microsoft Security Essentials.

Apart from that, I would suggest you run Driver Verifier https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

Regards,

bwv848

Edited by bwv848, 07 January 2018 - 11:12 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 blank123xyz

blank123xyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:46 PM

Hi bwv848,

Thanks for the quick reply! I have added Speccy to my original post, in the attachments.

I just flashed memtest86 to my USB stick, will run it a short while later. As for SSD, I checked the manufacturer's support website and I already have the latest firmware installed.

I'm going to run the full uninstaller for TrendMicro and not reinstall it this time just to see if it is indeed TrendMicro causing the boot failure.

Running Driver Verifier now! Will keep you updated. Thanks so much!

#4 blank123xyz

blank123xyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:37 AM

Hi bwv848,

I tried running Driver Verifier, but my screen just went fuzzy and no matter how many times I try to boot into Windows, this happens right after the Welcome screen. Now I am sending this from safe mode with networking -- any idea how to fix that?

Thanks!

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:03 AM

You mean Driver Verifier won't allow you at all to boot into "normal mode?" If so disable Driver Verifier by opening an elevated command prompt and entering the following:
verifier /reset
Obviously you must restart for changes to take effect.

Edited by bwv848, 08 January 2018 - 10:04 AM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 blank123xyz

blank123xyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:44 PM

Hey,

I just did that and now my computer can start up fine -- but the STOP problem still exists. Meanwhile, memtest86 showed 0 errors after running for 4 hours.

Any chance the startup programs might have caused this failure, or is it a hardware error? The first few programs to appear are AMD Radeon Settings and Trend Micro.

#7 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:32 PM

Hi. . .

I agree with bwv848 - usually STOP ERROR (bugcheck) 0xf4 is associated with a failing boot drive. In this case, that would be your Crucial SSD.

There really is only 1 way to check this out - replace the drive, install Windows onto it and see if the BSODs persist.

You can go to a big-box store like Best Buy, purchase a new SSD, install Windows 10 and see what happens. You have 30 days (better double-check that number as it may be 15 days) to return the SSD to Best Buy with no questions asked and get a full refund. If you do this, please verify the SSD return policy with the store as I am not 100% sure about it.

You can download Windows 10 directly from Microsoft -
- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
- https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Installing Windows 10 onto an SSD from a USB stick should go very quickly.

Be sure that your 2 GB Toshiba HDD IS NOT plugged in.

Good luck to you.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#8 blank123xyz

blank123xyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:04 AM

Sorry for the delay -- I thought my monitor went down so I was out of here for awhile.

I think everything worked fine after the Driver Verifier run and a Windows update that came immediately after I disabled Driver Verifier from Safe Mode.

Thanks a lot everyone -- really appreciate it!

#9 blank123xyz

blank123xyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:06 AM

Anyway, I hear some scratching noise coming from my CPU -- could that be my hard disk?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users