Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Impact of CPU vulnerability patches on other hardware and software? Wait to buy?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Carpentry

Carpentry

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:14 PM

I have read that these patches can significantly impact certain hardware such as SSD - don't recall which type though or how the impact affects actual usage/ which specific applications.

Does anyone think its a good idea to wait things out and buying computers with different parts depending on how things turn out? I think this might have a monetary impact on the components or build we buy since cost is usually tied with performance and certain things such as the ssd with a lower write speed.. Maybe some will opt for a Ryzen or wait until newer, patched chips come out from Intel, AMD, or ARM?

Edited by Carpentry, 07 January 2018 - 10:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:55 PM

Well waiting will do one thing, you will have more recent processors such as Ryzens refresh.

Otherwise it wont matter as patches will happen no matter what you get.

I mean i would probably go to a AMD system now as even though it is still effected by these bugs the perfornace drop may not matter much as AMD uses a different approach to CPU making.

Not saying AMD is immune but it does seem that AMD has been spared from the performance issues that may happen as specter only partially effects AMD

Edited by MadmanRB, 07 January 2018 - 11:58 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:22 AM

Ryzen refresh should come in about two months or so.

For vulnerabilities, Ryzen is not affected by Meltdown bug at all. There is no evidence that Spectre variant 2 works for AMD so it's likely it will never work. So that leaves AMD users only vulnerable to Spectre 1 variant while Intel users have problems with Spectre variants 1 and 2 plus Meltdown.

So it's recommended to avoid buying Intel CPU's right now.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:03 AM

I will wait out for benchmarks on ryzen refresh before committing but if you decided to go with say a Ryzen 5 1500 or 1600 you will be fine as its unlikely the performance gains will be too much for ryzen refresh.

Benchmarks only tell a small part of the story.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:48 AM

Well, Ryzen Refresh will have boost clocks around 4.4-4.5 GHz. IPC is same as with Ryzen although memory controller is bit faster. So Ryzen Refresh 6C12T will be around 10-15% faster than Ryzen 7 1600X (6C12T, 3.6/4.0 GHz).

There's no need for benchmarks when comparing CPU's with same architecture.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:13 PM

Indeed they will be improved, still though buy now or later the processor will be fine nop matter where you go.

I am not too bothered by ryzen refresh as i am very happy with my 1700

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 Carpentry

Carpentry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:59 AM

What do you guys think about the performance drop in write speed of ssd's after implementing the Bios patches. I only saw reports specific to NVMe and am not sure to what extent others are affected. 

Though most people probably wont use such high end parts.

In terms of the processors will they continue to distribute the current ones and patch the software on the machines since its already been done? Guss at this point its all just speculation.

Edited by Carpentry, 09 January 2018 - 02:05 AM.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:13 AM

SATA drive may not be effected but its hard to tell.

As for any new processors being patched its unlikely as it will take the effort of new everything to iron this out.

Unless the way the OS and the processors are made with big drastic changes then the odds are even.

However even with that said I would still go for AMD as it seems to be the least effected by all this mess and might be the best route going forward until intel can learn to adapt to this.

Intel will be severely effected by this to be sure, even mobile has more of a chance of bouncing back from this

Edited by MadmanRB, 09 January 2018 - 06:16 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users