Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bitdefender Free 2017 failed to scan

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hedera

hedera

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:57 PM

I have a Dell XPS 13 laptop running Windows 10 on which I installed Bitdefender Free 2017 last fall.  Since this is my travel laptop I don't run it all the time.  I turned it on today and Bitdefender Free had turned off automatic protection, showed a big red error "Your system is at risk", and when I tried to run a system scan, the scan failed.  

I tried to search for a solution, or at least for an uninstall tool.  It looks to me like Bitdefender has stopped supporting the free antivirus edition, although I see the download link still exists; and it doesn't provide an uninstall tool - its help files tell me that my start menu should have a "repair or uninstall" option, which wasn't there.  I finally decided to uninstall the thing on the control panel; but the file folders are mostly still there.  

Right now the laptop is protected by Malwarebytes (paid) and Windows Defender.

First, how do I get rid of the rest of Bitdefender?  Second, is Windows Defender now enough on Windows 10, or should I look into other free antivirus tools?  I chose Bitdefender because of a recommendation on Bleeping Computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:32 PM

Repairing or removing Bitdefender Free Edition

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 678 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:00 AM

Hi, hedera!

Sorry for the late reply, but anyway:

I would recommend trying these options, one by one;

1. Download and reinstall Bitdefender Free Edition from here: https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

2. Uninstall BDFE from Control Panel → Programs and Features in Safe Mode, download and use the vendor's removal tools (Paid version, Trial version, Business version) from here: https://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall/ and perform a clean reinstall

3. Uninstall BDFE from here: http://www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/Gonzales_uninstalltool.exe and run it in Safe Mode, and perform a clean reinstall in Normal Mode

4. Redownload BDFE and reinstall it over the existing installation to correct missing shortcuts and registry entries and uninstall it in Safe Mode

5. Download Revo Uninstaller from here: https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html and uninstall BDFE it in Safe Mode

6. Download and uninstall BDFE from here: https://support.eset.com/kb3527/#removable#top in Safe Mode

Information on how to enter Safe Mode: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/#windows10

Important note: While in Safe Mode, please right-click the BD Uninstall Tools and select Run As Administrator.

As for Windows Defender on Windows 10, please read this article by quietman7 on Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 09 January 2018 - 10:28 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:04 PM

Windows 10 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems plus enhanced protection against rootkits and bootkits. Windows 10 Defender is just as good as any other free antivirus solution (and probably easier to use for the novice) without bundled toolbars or nagging popups. The key word being "free".

I have read several reports of third-party anti-virus software being turned off after folks installed the last two Creator updates so I suspect the failure to scan may be an issue related to Defender.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 hedera

hedera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:58 PM

Thanks to all 3 of you for the responses.  After thinking about this for a couple of days, and reading the recommended post by quietman, I've decided to give up on BitDefender and stick with Defender.  I used Microsoft Security Essentials for quite a while and was satisfied with it, until it developed a bug which sent the full threat scan process into a loop that never completed, which Microsoft never got around to fixing.  My other issue with it is that I know from experience that to reinstall BitDefender, I'd have to uninstall Malwarebytes first, then install BitDefender, then reinstall Malwarebytes. 

Midimusicman, I think I'll use your links to pull down the vendor's uninstall tool - thank you! How much of a problem is it that I uninstalled BitDefender from the control panel when not in Safe Mode?  

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:04 PM

Sometimes the uninstall works more effectively if you first stop and disable the program's service (and associated processes in Task Manager) or perform the removal in safe mode so there are less processes which can interfere with the uninstallation.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 678 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

Hi again, hedera!

Midimusicman, I think I'll use your links to pull down the vendor's uninstall tool - thank you! How much of a problem is it that I uninstalled BitDefender from the control panel when not in Safe Mode?

You are welcome!

As opposed to in Safe Mode, in Normal Mode, Bitdefender runs and will interfere with the uninstallation, so to use an analogy, in Normal Mode, Bitdefender is awake and active, whereas in Safe Mode it is asleep and passive, and will as such not interfere with the uninstallation.

As for how much of a problem this is, if any and you want to resolve it, you should make sure to reinstall Bitdefender as part of the uninstallation process, preferably in the order specified, so you subsequently have run all the BD uninstall tools.

...I know from experience that to reinstall BitDefender, I'd have to uninstall Malwarebytes first, then install BitDefender, then reinstall Malwarebytes.

Again, as long as Malwarebytes is running, it will interfere with the reinstallation of Bitdefender, so I would recommend keeping that in mind.

As a side note, in the past, Malwarebytes used to recommend users to first exit their Anti-Virus in order to avoid that it would interfere with the installation, and I guess that still applies.

And please post back with the results, as we are eager to know exactly which BD uninstall tool that actually manages to resolve your issue.

Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 11 January 2018 - 10:19 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users