Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS update for Meltdown - Admin password?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hazelludlow

hazelludlow

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:20 PM

In trying to flash my BIOS on my Dell desktop, i downloaded and attempted to run [Inspiron_3668_3268_1.6.0] ...it asked for my Admin password...i am the only user on this computer, so i used my login password...

it was invalid...

where/what.how do i get the Admin password?  in Settings it has my account as an Administrator account...

confused,

hazel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:50 PM

The BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) is critical to the proper operation of your computer.

It is the first code that is executed at start-up and defines the way your motherboard will communicate with the system hardware components.

The decision to flash your BIOS should not be taken lightly. It is essential that you do it mistake free if you still want to be able to use your computer.

Flashing the BIOS incorrectly can lead to an unusable system. Flash the BIOS at your own risk.

Be careful. VERY careful.

Where did you obtain the download from?

Has there been any feedback on the Dell site about it ?

I am sure others will comment here and help you further....but please be aware, if this doesn't work for whatever reason you may end up with an expensive paperweight sitting on your desk...totally unuseable.

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-common-mistakes-you-should-avoid-when-flashing-your-bios/

Personally I would wait a while before I undertook anything as drastic as a bios flash/update.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:59 PM

I am not nearly so conservative about flashing BIOS/UEFI and do it routinely every time there is an update from my computer's manufacturer.  I just flashed two HP laptops this afternoon.

Most manufacturers have utilities that make updating BIOS incredibly safe and easy, and I emphasize that by manufacturers I mean the maker of your computer on the support page for that particular model.

I cannot understand why you would be being asked for any password in relation to updating BIOS, as I have never had that happen in all my decades of working with PCs.  That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen, but it's got to be exceedingly rare.

Not that a lot of the information in the article Condobloke gave the link to is not still accurate, but the article is 10 years old and exactly how one goes about updating BIOS/UEFI has come light years from where it was in 2008.  Like so many other things it's moved from the, "Don't even think of letting anyone but an experienced technician do it," to, "It installs much like most other programs do."

Edited by britechguy, 07 January 2018 - 07:02 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:02 PM

You may like to follow THIS TOPIC   it deals exclusively with meltdown and spectre

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:02 PM

If you use a Microsoft Account to login to Windows does leaving the password field blank and clicking next work?

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,088 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:24 PM

I wonder if you set a BIOS Password in the BIOS?

If not, take a look at THIS and see if it is relevant to you.

Edited by pcpunk, 07 January 2018 - 08:25 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 hazelludlow

hazelludlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:45 PM

Condobloke: thank you very much for the warning...it's something i try to tell myself constantly as i am error prone...

brian: it is strange about the BIOS password, but two files that i have at my disposal were: #1 [Inspiron_3668_3268_1.6.0], DL from Dell in an update, which asked me for my Admin password...#2 [Intel_ME_Firmware_Updater32_Cons_H_11.8.50.3426] which asked for the BIOS password, but after 3 random keystroke entries allowed me to update the BIOS...

i am still trying to figure out how to get the Administrator password the first was asking about and then the BIOS password, as i do not remember ever entering a BIOS password...

john: i havent tried logging in with a Microsoft account, just usually use a PIN...

How can i find out the BIOS password?  Dell Support said that once i give them a System ID they could help with the BIOS one, but where's the ID located?

thanks bunch...

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,088 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

I can only assume that there is no BIOS Password if this is a new pc, and you say you did not Set one, because there is none by Default.

You couldn't just hit Enter without putting anything in right?

At least you finally got it, good for being persistent.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

I'm guessing pcpunk is on the right track with just hitting enter.

Your Dell service number should be on a plate or label, kind of like a serial number label.

It isn't real clear from your post where you are seeing this password prompt.  Are you running the BIOS update from inside of Windows?

#10 hazelludlow

hazelludlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:45 PM

I downloaded the BIOS update from Dell...when i go to run it, a box pops up: Enter Admin Password...just pressing Enter brings up Invalid Password...using the password i use for logging in brings up Invalid Password...after 3 tries a box pops up telling me the BIOS Update Failed and if i would like to start again, just restart the program

i did eventually get the BIOS through a different Firmware update file from Dell, but i still want to know why/what the Admin Password is...

also, through the second Firmware Update file, after entering nonsense for BIOS Password three times, an Update button popped up and I went from there...

service number: Found

product number: Found

device number: Found

System ID: Not Found

the System ID is what Dell Support is asking for and i cannot find that on my case, inside or out and neither Support or anyone else has been able to tell me where it is...

right now, its just what i want to know about the details of my dilemma...update: yes, complete, so the problem is solved

thank you very much for all your help...i hate coming here asking for help and not being able to give back...maybe someday i'll learn something important enough to share...

you all take care and enjoy the year...

bests,

Attached Files

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users