Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 1709 fall creators update issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 edwardbeyer

edwardbeyer

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

I know that you all have probably seen this before now, but i am having trouble getting the 1709 fall creators update to stick. it keeps on failing to install. I am not sure what is wrong with my computer to cause this, and i was hoping i could get some help. I have an asus strix gaming laptop, that runs an i7-6700HQ intel processor. It is a 64 bit system runing windows 10. Is there anything you guys and gals can advise?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:51 PM

You need to be far more specific about the error messages you're getting and what, exactly, "unable to stick" means.

One thing I have found pretty consistently helpful in cases where the usual "update via Windows Update" just doesn't want to work for some reason is using these instructions for Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 edwardbeyer

edwardbeyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:56 PM

Thats just it, when i do the update, it goes through the restart screen with the typical update messages, but when i get to my desktop screen, i get a message in my action center that says it failed to install updates, but it wontgive me any other messages. Ive tried the iso before, and it was the same thing.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:54 PM

Have you tried Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10?

When things have gotten really ugly that's step one (which I should have suggested before).  The second is to try the ISO update method.  After that I tend to go one of the "thermonuclear" routes after having taken a full system image backup using the utility of your choice along with a separate user data backup as well.

1.  Reset with "Keep My Files"  (knowing that most of the Desktop Apps and Store Apps you've installed will disappear in the process).

2.  Reset without keeping files.

If either of the above work you can try updating again.

If you wish to avoid even dealing with a Reset then back up your user data, back up your full system image, use something like Belarc Advisor to get a list of what you have installed on the computer (as I always forget something and it's simple and free to use this tool to get a software inventory on your system), then do a clean install of Windows 10 using an ISO that was created after whatever is the latest version (right now:  1709) was released.

Someone else may have a better idea and I'd certainly love knowing how to avoid resets and/or clean installs.

But, I emphasize again, in order to give any sort of accurate guidance more information regarding exactly why the install is failing is needed.   All of the above is offered with the proviso that it is "my general approach" but that may not be appropriate for certain quirky failures.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 Jims7606

Jims7606

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:33 AM

I too had this problem. I finally checked to see if my computer was compatible with the upgrade and it was not.

#6 edwardbeyer

edwardbeyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:03 PM

i actually got an error code recently, although it was really small, like the legalese in a contract at the bottom. The error code i got was 0x8024a10a. I tried a clean install by using the msconfig to turn off all non microsoft services and the start up items, and it still didnt work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users