Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows too large for screen, alt+space then "move" doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:10 PM

This has happened before with a few things, but usually only temporarily, however with a program I've recently downloaded there seems no way to see the full GUI at all. I've been looking for cross platform video editors and have been trying kdenlive, openshot and handbrake. I've tried them on my linux system and am now looking at them on my windows 8.1 system too. Handbrake (does anyone know if the GUI is metro style on windows 8.1 with weird white bits covering over with options, totally unlike the linux GUI for it) has a GUI too big for my screen*. I want to look at the lower parts of the GUI but it is too tall. If I try "alt"+"space" and then pick "move" and use the arrow keys I can get the window to go where I want it, with the top of the GUI disappearing of the top of my screen and the bottom of the GUI now reachable. But then when I hit enter to "put the window down" in this new location it snaps back to having the top of the window at the top of my screen, so the bottom is inaccessible. What can I do about this, it is bad when it happens with avast's updater but for once a month things I can temporarily switch to the small mode for display in control panel, but for a program I'm trying to test and get to know I don't want to be having to change screen resolution like that, I need to be able to get windows to go off the top of my screen. Thanks

*I have to set the "medium" 125% option for window 8.1's size in "control panel-->display" as it's too small to comfortably read otherwise.

Edited by rp88, 07 January 2018 - 03:10 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:11 PM

Has anyone got tips for this, it is so annoying when I can't get at controls at the bottom of a window which insists (usually for no good reason as most of the programs which do this just seem to have un-necessarily big buttons in their controls with absurdly large gaps between them) on being too big for my screen. Thanks.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:04 PM

Press the CTRL key on the keyboard & use the mouse scroll button to increase or decrease size.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#4 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:16 PM

I'm not typing from windows right now, so can't test that yet, but from memory I thought that only worked within browser to expand/shrink the size of webpage content, and didn't affect the sizes of windows and the size of GUIs in them?

Edited by rp88, 14 February 2018 - 03:17 PM.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:03 PM

Are you able to right click on a clean screen to get at the graphics settings?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users