Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

excesively loosing disk space for unknown reasons

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Iluvene

Iluvene

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:41 PM

Hello,

I'm having a hard time trying to find out what's causing the loss of disk space on C:/. I know this topic has been raised many times already and I have followed the advice but the issue still remains and maybe someone can help me diagnose what's the cause of it. 

My C: partition is 100GB large, I have already uninstalled every redundant program, leaving only the most important ones. I do not store junk like music/photos etc. on this partition, yet it's still jammed, at the worst point reaching only 300mb free space left.

I run glary utilities cleanup every now and then. It's always a max ~1gb gain.

Restore points and system protection are disabled. Hibernation mode is disabled. File indexing is disabled.

The fragmentation of the disk (HDD) has been assessed for 2%.

Windows Update is set to "ask before downloading and installing" for about a month. 

I have run DiskCleanup yesterday and it has found almost 9gb of space to free up. Today after rebooting the pc I've found my C: partition again almost fully loaded, having only 2gb left. DiskCleanup has shown only 30mb of data to be deleted. Glary has found only 500mb of junk.

The antivirus in not finding any viruses or malware. I honestly don't know what else can I do.

WinDirStat has given me the following output:

Attached File  windir.jpg   59.07KB   1 downloads

(I can provide an english version if that changes anything)

Could anyone help me with this issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stalwart385

Stalwart385

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:17 PM

Your Installer folder looks bloated. Mine is 4 GB with Windows 7. You can't just delete it, it could crash your operating system. You can use tools if you trust them enough. 

I tried this tool and everything went ok:

http://www.homedev.com.au/Free/PatchCleaner

If you have a backup drive you could just move the files with the tool instead of deleting them. Just in case it causes issues.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:31 PM

Make sure you don't have this known problem:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3112358/microsoft-windows/windows-7-log-file-compression-bug-can-fill-up-your-hard-drive.html

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:28 PM

Run the tool hamluis has provided.  I wanted to leave THIS LINK with you as it helped a few people and it is a good source.  I have not tried it, so you may want to hold off until you do some more diagnostics.  I wonder if you have lot's of failed updates?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

yeah myself had to just deal with this problem on computer on our network of 70+ computers.  all POS terminals had this issue and a few others in the office about 45 in all.

I found a similar post and it took care of my headaches.

Edited by mightywiz, 08 January 2018 - 12:27 PM.

#7 Iluvene

Iluvene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

I have used the tool recommended by Stalwart385 yesterday and it has found over 30gb of obsolete update files. After moving them to the backup drive everything seems to be working fine and after rebooting and successfully installing few windows updates there's still over 30gb of free disk space on my C partition. So far so good. I hope no further steps will be necessary.

The question arises though, is it normal (well, as normal as it can be...) for Windows to grow the installer folder to such extend or could this be a sign of something bad going on with the OS?

Thank you all for the support, I hope I won't have to bother anyone anymore.

#8 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

I have used the tool recommended by Stalwart385 yesterday and it has found over 30gb of obsolete update files. After moving them to the backup drive everything seems to be working fine and after rebooting and successfully installing few windows updates there's still over 30gb of free disk space on my C partition. So far so good. I hope no further steps will be necessary.

The question arises though, is it normal (well, as normal as it can be...) for Windows to grow the installer folder to such extend or could this be a sign of something bad going on with the OS?

Thank you all for the support, I hope I won't have to bother anyone anymore.

did you check out the link pcpunk pointed out, it is a very common issues and it's related to the windows updates.  the cbs logs keep track of installs and when they mess up you will have files growing and consuming all your disc space.  I suggest you just check it out.  because they go hand in hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users