Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows causes (?) weird "beeping" noise

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 denco1

denco1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:26 AM

Hi,
since I have installed Windows 10, I noticed weird "beeping" noise. It's not classic beeping sound you can hear, when there is something wrong. It's not even coming from speakers. It's like mechanical, not sure how to call it.

I was using Ubuntu before and I'm pretty sure there was no noise like this. And since I have installed the system from CD (not from recovery partition), I'm thinking it might be caused by driver, but not sure what driver could it be.

My hardware is:
Asus ZenBook UX410
Intel Core i5-7200U
8GB of RAM
SanDisk SD8SB8U512G1002

I managed to record the sound. I advice you to turn up the volume, so you can hear it over the fan noise (mic was pretty close to the laptop).

Thank you for your replies.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YNOT121

YNOT121

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:19 PM

Hi 

I'm no computer buff but I have had lots of strange things happen to my computers over the years, and something like what you are describing sounds like the keyboard driver, worth checking to see if one of the keys is sticking.

Ynot121

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 585 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:06 PM

i had one guy swear the noise was coming from his pc, but it was his smoke detector.  I could not hear anything in that audio but the low rumbling of the fan.  maybe i'm just to old I also a DJ and my hearing is not as good as it used to be.

other things to check;

small clock alarms / digital timers

battery backup units

smoke detectors

watch's

those noises can sound like they are coming from the pc but are actually not.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:37 PM

I played that audio file through a very large amplifier and some very, VERY large speakers and I was unable to hear anything.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 denco1

denco1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:09 AM

It's definitely coming from the laptop. I can hear the same noise in the different places, I mean ...  geographicaly.

I'll try to get better recording, hope I can get one.

#6 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:25 AM

did you leave a cd/dvd in the disk drive?

#7 denco1

denco1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:57 AM

There is no CD drive in this laptop.

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,530 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:40 AM

There is no CD drive in this laptop.

Post a new audio file.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 BeckoningChasm

BeckoningChasm

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:03 AM

I haven't heard the sound, but some time ago I encountered a Windows 7 PC that would start beeping for no discernible reason.  It turned out to be an old USB scanner that kept connecting, disconnecting, connecting, etc.  The scanner itself worked fine, so I just turned off the USB beep alarm (and I don't remember how I did that, sorry).  Are there any older USB peripherals attached to this computer?

#10 denco1

denco1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:32 PM

I tried, but I don't think I can get anything better than this. Not with my mic. It's not that good so it will always have some noise. Again, if you play it louder, I think you can hear. I mean I hear, but it's probably, because I know what to find in that recording. Don't take me literally about that "beeping" as I called it. It could be called clicking maybe. Nothing better to describe it comes to my mind right now.

Attached Files

#11 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:26 PM

Don't hear ant "beeps" if it's a clicking sound then it's most likely your hard drive, does it make more noise when your hard drive is more active?

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,530 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:29 PM

I tried, but I don't think I can get anything better than this. Not with my mic. It's not that good so it will always have some noise. Again, if you play it louder, I think you can hear. I mean I hear, but it's probably, because I know what to find in that recording. Don't take me literally about that "beeping" as I called it. It could be called clicking maybe. Nothing better to describe it comes to my mind right now.

No, no sounds. I have a very large Marantz amplifier that weighs 75 pounds and puts out a true 100 watts per channel connected to very large Polk Studio monitor speakers. I heard absolutely no sounds.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,951 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:36 PM

If it doesn't happen in Ubuntu then I doubt it's mechanical. See whether if ProcMon can help here (when in doubt run ProcMon!)

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/find-application-making-sounds-in-background/

At least you can tell whether if it's Windows or something else.

Edited by bwv848, 12 January 2018 - 02:38 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#14 denco1

denco1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:39 AM

There is SSD, no HDD in this laptop.

Another thing - looks like the sound happens only, when the laptop is on AC. On battery the sound is gone.

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,530 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:52 AM

There is SSD, no HDD in this laptop.

Another thing - looks like the sound happens only, when the laptop is on AC. On battery the sound is gone.

Can you post an audio file when you are sure that you can hear the sound?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users