Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

configuring ssd plus hdd

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fueledbydrprper

fueledbydrprper

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:04 AM

Windows 10

In the course of research, I ran across a recommendation to copy the entire users directory from the C:SSD to the D:HDD. Then delete the content of C:\users and link C:\users to the D:drive. The reasoning was to free storage space on a small SSD. Is this safe, or will the OS have problems?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

Hi,

That could create potentially many problems because its not recommended by Microsoft, the way to do it properly involves a custom Windows installation to configure windows to put the user profiles in another drive.

You can free some space more safely by reallocating to the HDD some folders like My Documents, My Pictures etc.

This link is for Windows 7 https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-move-windows-7-personal-folders-my-documents-another-drive.htm but on Windows 10 its similar

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3025345/windows/move-your-windows-10-libraries-to-a-separate-drive-or-partition.html.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 fueledbydrprper

fueledbydrprper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:55 AM

Thanks for the reply. I had already viewed those articles. The question I posed was about one of the recommendations I found during research. It didn't sound right. I wanted to double check before configuring a new laptop that is due to arrive soon. The new machine has a small SSD.

Thanks again.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:00 AM

You may want to read this article.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/dont-move-your-windows-user-profiles-folder-to-another-drive/

#5 fueledbydrprper

fueledbydrprper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the link. It reaffirms my decision to get advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users