Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Unigine Heaven Benchmark Score

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 imagine-02

imagine-02

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:07 AM

I've reinstalled drivers, done system updates, services packs, other things I can't remember right now.

Any ideas why my test score is so low? It didn't freeze during the test, but it does sometimes while using programs like Google Earth or watching HD videos online. Graphics card or RAM, maybe?

I built the computer about 7 years ago, so I'm expecting components to start failing.

FPS: 8.6

Score: 215

Min FPS: 4.4

Max FPS: 16.4

Render: Direct 3D11

Mode: 1920x1080 4xAA Fullscreen

Pre: Custom

Qual: Ultra

Tess: Normal

Operating temps during test (CPUID HWMonitor)

AMD FirePro V4900 GPU: Avg 89°C / Max 98°C

Intel Core i5 2500 CPU: Group Avg 35-43°C / Max 48°C

Intel HD Graphics: Avg 42°C / Max 46°C

Windows 7 (64bit)

AMD FirePro V4900 Video Card

ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z Motherboard

Intel Core i5-25000 Sandy Bridge Quad-core 3.3GHz Processor

G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB F3-12800CL9D RAM

Crucial MX200 2.5" 500GB SATA III Solid State Drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:58 AM

Hello imagine-02,

You cannot really judge the video card on Valley Benchmark as the card is not intended for gaming but for usage such as CAD etc.

Easiest test for you to do would be to remove the AMD card and drivers and test using the Intel graphics.

NB: You mention you built the computer several years ago, what PSU did you use in it, if also several years old it should have been changed before now.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:57 AM

What was being referred to are the electrolytic capacitors used in the PSU.  The electrolytic breaks down over time which will eventually make the capacitor to fail.  This could occur as a infant fatality, component failures happen.  But a decent PSU should last for years.  I have a older Antec PSU that is eight years old and still works just fine.  To determine if the PSU has a problem you could use either a digital multi-meter or a PSU tester to read the different rail voltages.

You posted that you are running Windows 7 (64-bit), but you didn't post whether you install Service Pack 1.  Have you installed the SP1?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 imagine-02

imagine-02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:12 PM

I understand it's not the best test for my video card, but it still should have done better. I built the computer to handle SolidWorks and some video editing, so that's why I ended up with this card.

Still on the original PSU, PC Power & Cooling Fatal1ty Gaming Series 750 Watt 80+ Bronze Semi-Modular Active PFC Performance Grade ATX PC Power Supply (OCZ750FTY)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341041

Haven't done any tests with the PSU yet.

I think I'll try removing the AMD card like suggested too.

Installed SP1 about 2 months ago when I re-installed all kinds of drivers to fix a no sound issue in media player programs. Sound issue was fixed after much frustration. Editing videos has become nearly impossible, but was made slightly better with those re-installs.

#5 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:33 PM

Same as a Quadro, very good graphic quality just not lightening fast, the CPU and RAM are both being bottlenecked by the V4900 I`m afraid, any PSU approaching the end of its warranty should be replaced regardless. 

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:43 PM

any PSU approaching the end of its warranty should be replaced regardless. 

Replacing the PSU because it is just over a year old and isn't exhibiting any problems is ludicrous.  I wouldn't suggest replacing a PSU unless it has been tested and is showing rail voltages that fall below suggested parameters.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

And if it pops and takes out all of your other hardware who pays for the replacements.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:16 PM

If you have a multimeter you can check the rail voltages to see if they are withing normal readings.  If you don't have a multimeter or don't know how to use one you can purchase a PSU tester.  There is no good reason to dump a good PSU that isn't showing any signs of trouble.

Readings should not have variances larger than +/- five percent.  

Maximum.........Minimum
12.6V.................11.4V
5.25V.................4.75V
3.47V.................3.14V

As for a PSU taking out all of the hardware, when a PSU fails it usually will have subnormal voltages.  At worst there may not be adequate voltage to even start the computer.  In order to produce voltages high enough to do this type of damage there would need to be a short between the primary and secondary sides of the transformer.  If this happen I can guarantee that you will notice it.

#9 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:31 PM

Apologies imagine-02, never intended to either enter into a debate or hijack your thread :(

Warranties are there for a purpose, if you choose to ignore them accept the potential consequences, as for comprehensively testing a PSU a multimeter or basic PSU tester are not testing the PSU under any load, that is what the proper bench testing equipment here is for.

Attached Files

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

any PSU approaching the end of its warranty should be replaced regardless. 

Replacing the PSU because it is just over a year old and isn't exhibiting any problems is ludicrous.  I wouldn't suggest replacing a PSU unless it has been tested and is showing rail voltages that fall below suggested parameters.

About which I have to agree with dc3 entirely.   No one in a business setting changes out PSUs "just because they're out of warranty" and I certainly do not and would not for my clients, either.   I have found that PSUs are very robust, period.   I have also found that when PSUs fail, and they do occasionally, they have never "taken anything out" in the process.

It's a huge waste of money and resources to replace a PSU when a PSU is functioning just fine, regardless of its age.  [I've seen many go on and on and on for periods of years that are in the double digits.  The one in my ancient Gateway desktop that is left running almost continuously is over 10 years old now and performs just fine, thanks.]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#11 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:54 AM

Have you managed to do the testing yet imagine-02

#12 imagine-02

imagine-02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:11 PM

Tested with igpu and it was pathetic, as was expected. Reinstalled the Firepro V4900 and used the Asus ROG MB turbo setting. Ended up with a slight improvement.
I have a GTX 1050ti coming that I'll test with next. Saving for a new work station build, so I'm going to try turning this one into more of gaming/video editing rig.
Haven't done any testing with the PSU, but looking at the monitor for it doesn't suggest there would be any problems.
The video card is the only component I've observed that gets hot. Maybe 90° while really working the system isn't too hot for it though?

#13 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:08 PM

Decent card, some info on Valley results for it here

The temps of the present AMD card could just be down to its age, if not seen already, max temps for the card here

#14 imagine-02

imagine-02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for the links. Good info

#15 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members