Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DISM hell with a startup repair bootloop

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Phateless

Phateless

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:12 PM

Hi all, longtime fan and lurker here! I've been using ComboFix for years.

My buddy's computer was stalling on sign-in. Enter password and it just spins forever. Now I am stuck in an endless Startup Repair bootloop.

• Startup Repair fails.
  • Windows Defender Offline can't find the OS.
  • 3 different rescue disks found zero infections.
  • SFC /scannow comes back clean.
  • CHKDSK finds no issues.
  • DISM throws various errors at me (logfile attached).
  • bootrec /fixboot says access is denied.
  • ntbtlog shows the first item not loaded is hal.inf acpi_amd64, if that helps at all?
  • I am able to boot the computer from a Windows USB and access startup repair, command prompt, etc, which gives me the same results.

I know I could just nuke and pave, but at this point I'm more interested in solving the puzzle, lol.

I'm sure it's just a simple issue of syntax with DISM, but I've been googling for a week straight and gone mostly round in circles.

Any help is much appreciated!

Attached Files

• Attached File  dism.log   43.43KB   6 downloads

Edited by Phateless, 07 January 2018 - 12:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:16 AM

What is the make and model of this computer.  I will need this information to find what the Boot menu key is, this will have different boot options.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Phateless

Phateless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for your reply.

F12. Toshiba C655. I'm not having trouble booting from USB, that works fine.

I get the same behavior whether booted from a flash drive with a Windows install ISO downloaded from Microsoft or the recovery partition on the HDD.

Edited by Phateless, 07 January 2018 - 11:36 AM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:14 AM

Start off simple:  did you run Last Known Good Config, SFC Scannow, and then chkdsk /r  from elevated command prompt?

[EDIT]: afterthought:  are you saying that you ran Combofix and that is when your problems started?

Edited by ranchhand_, 07 January 2018 - 11:16 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:18 AM

If you are booting from installation media you need to change the boot order so that the device being used (DVD or flash drive) is the first device in the boot order and the ssd/hdd the second device.  If this is a DVD select DVD-ROM, if it is a flash drive select USB.  Did you do this?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Phateless

Phateless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:33 AM

Thanks for your replies.

Start off simple:  did you run Last Known Good Config, SFC Scannow, and then chkdsk /r  from elevated command prompt?

[EDIT]: afterthought:  are you saying that you ran Combofix and that is when your problems started?

Good suggestion, but this machine apparently has no saved system restore points.

SFC /scannow and chkdsk both come back clean.

I can not boot into Windows, so command prompt is the only thing I have, meaning I can not right-click and launch an elevated command prompt from within Windows.

No, I have not run ComboFix on this machine. I tried to run it from command prompt, but it says not compatible with this version of windows, by which I presume that means command prompt.

If you are booting from installation media you need to change the boot order so that the device being used (DVD or flash drive) is the first device in the boot order and the ssd/hdd the second device.  If this is a DVD select DVD-ROM, if it is a flash drive select USB.  Did you do this?

No need to change the boot order - just hit F12 and choose USB from the list.

I wasn't having trouble booting from USB; what exactly are you recommending? I have a Windows 10 ISO (downloaded from Microsoft like a week ago) on USB and booting from that gives me the same behavior on startup repair, sfc, chkdsk, dism, etc.

Edited by Phateless, 07 January 2018 - 12:36 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

Check the following video. It explains replacing the registry hives in config with the ones in Regback using your install media. This may or may not work for you but it's fairly easy to carry out. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3za5fsfYftQ&feature=youtu.be

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:17 PM

I wasn't having trouble booting from USB

form Post #6: I can not boot into windows, so command prompt is the only thing I have

Do you mean that you can boot into Windows from the USB?

Also....did you start having the problems after using Combofix? (post #4)?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 Phateless

Phateless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

Check the following video. It explains replacing the registry hives in config with the ones in Regback using your install media. This may or may not work for you but it's fairly easy to carry out. 

Thank you, this is a new suggestion! I will give it a try.

I wasn't having trouble booting from USB

form Post #6: I can not boot into windows, so command prompt is the only thing I have

Do you mean that you can boot into Windows from the USB?

Also....did you start having the problems after using Combofix? (post #4)?

I'm not sure I understand your question. The computer is able to boot from a bootable USB, bypassing the hard drive. This is not a hardware issue, if that's what you're wondering? I have a Windows install ISO on USB, and I am able to boot from that as if I were reinstalling Windows.

My issue is that the installation on the C:\ drive is having problems, and I am attempting to repair it, as opposed to reinstalling Windows.

Thanks!

#10 Phateless

Phateless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:40 PM

ntbtlog shows the first item not loaded is hal.inf acpi_amd64

Does that give us any clues?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:42 PM

If you make a error while editing the registry it could result in rendering you computer inoperable.  I would suggest backing up the registry before making any changes in the registry.

To backup the registry please download and install Tweaking.com Registry Backup.

Play the video below for operating instructions.

#12 Phateless

Phateless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:45 PM

If you make a error while editing the registry it could result in rendering you computer inoperable.  I would suggest backing up the registry before making any changes in the registry.

To backup the registry please download and install Tweaking.com Registry Backup.

Play the video below for operating instructions.

Thanks, I will check this out. The computer is basically inoperable now, so not much to lose at this point.

#13 Phateless

Phateless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 01:02 PM

OH MY GOD that did something! I heard the startup sound, and now it's doing the familiar process of finishing updates after a reboot.

I will update again if I can get into Windows.

EDIT: I'm in! I can't believe it was that simple. Thank you so much! Now to update windows and make sure this thing runs clean.

Edited by Phateless, 07 January 2018 - 01:07 PM.

#14 Phateless

Phateless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 01:18 PM

I'm successfully booted back into Windows and logged in to the user account.

I am attempting to update Windows and it seems to just be spinning forever on "initializing updates" although I am able to use the computer in the background. I suppose I'll just let it run for a few hours and see if it makes any progress.

I am afraid to reboot it lol.

Thank you again!

#15 Phateless

Phateless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:38 PM

Windows Update says Updates are available, Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709, and keeps alternating between "Preparing to install updates" and Initializing updates." It moves very slowly through the percentages, and it appears to be going around in circles.

At what point should I just reboot and use the updater you can download from Microsoft, Windows10Upgrade9252.exe? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Edited by Phateless, 07 January 2018 - 03:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users