Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

obth has stopped working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RobynR

RobynR

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:07 PM

I keep getting this window popping up (every few hours) that says "obth has stopped working"

When I check online for a solution I don't get anything.  I have searched the forums and have not found anything similar.

Is this serious?  How can I get it to stop?  

Problem Signature:

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    officebackgroundtaskhandler.exe
  Application Version:    16.0.8730.2165
  Application Timestamp:    5a4181e4
  Fault Module Name:    StackHash_70e6
  Fault Module Version:    0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:    00000000
  Exception Code:    c0000005
  Exception Offset:    7376e4a4
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    70e6
  Additional Information 2:    70e66981a12684c3d06efb289d0bacba
  Additional Information 3:    c720
  Additional Information 4:    c7201ff3dbaab3f974a72cb57fcf815c

Thanks for any help you can give.

I have a different laptop now:  HP G71-340US Notebook ACPI x 64 based PC, Inter® Core™2 Duo CPU, T6600@2.20GHz, 4.0 GB RAM, intelSSDSC2BW240A3L ATA Drive.  Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1.  Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials, also have Malwarebytes.

Edited by RobynR, 06 January 2018 - 07:12 PM.

Gateway NV59C66u, Intel Core i3 CPU M370@2.40 GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500 GB HDD, Cable box, Windows 7, Google Chrome, gmail & hotmail, AVG free, Malwarebytes anti-malware
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,711 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:33 PM

Application Name:    officebackgroundtaskhandler.exe
  Application Version:    16.0.8730.2165

I'm just shootin' from the hip here, but do you have Microsoft Office (or any other "office" software)?  If so, try reinstalling (delete the existing copy first).

obth:  Office Background Task Handler

Edited by ranchhand_, 06 January 2018 - 09:12 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:43 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:45 AM

Depending on what version and edition of Office you have installed there is a Scheduled Task that periodically runs officebackgroundtaskhandler.exe and it has been problematic but Internet searches hint that Microsoft may have fixed it with some updates.

The popular solution on the Internet is to just disable the task since nobody seems to be real sure what it does so you can do that and see how things look knowing that if/when some other solution or explanation comes up you can enable the task again.

To open Task Scheduler click the Start button/orb and in the box enter:

task  scheduler

Then choose to run Task Scheduler as Administrator:

[attachment=201159:1.jpg]

Expand the Task Scheduler library, Microsoft, Office and locate the offending task, right click and choose to Disable it:

[attachment=201160:Untitled.jpg]

Close Task Scheduler and restart your system then check the task again to be sure the changes "stick" and see how things look after that.

On my stone age system with Office I don't have any of those tasks so I just copied that image from another forum but from the looks of those other tasks with the word "Telemetry" in them those are usually things installed by Microsoft to collect information about your system and send that information to Microsoft.  

Of course Microsoft would never collect and any of your personal information from your system and send that...  right.

There are lots of updates and KBs that MS sends via Windows Update that are telemetry based or have telemetry in their description and some folks refer to them as snooping and spying patches/updates and choose not to install them.  This is why it might be a good idea to have your Windows Update setting set to never check for updates which means you will have to check for updates once in a while yourself which puts you in charge of what gets installed on your system instead of Microsoft.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users