Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

No longer have Audio, Start Menu, or Settings.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Stampede20

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:37 PM

Hello! I'm currently in serious need of some help with my Windows 10 PC. I have searched for answers to my problems but it always leads to another error or issue. If anyone has any answers to whats going on below please let me know!

Randomly my PC decided to freeze up completely. I could not move the mouse and nothing was changing on the screen. After around 30 minutes of waiting for it to hopefully unfreeze, nothing happened. I decided it was long enough and used the restart button on my PC to hopefully fix the freeze. It did fix the freeze but brought many more issues. 

After the restart audio has stopped working, the windows button and search button on the taskbar no longer work and right clicking the desktop and selecting Display Settings/Personalize brings up an error box below.

Right Clicking the Desktop and selecting Display Settings/Personalize

Audio Icon along with Troubleshooting and cannot select default playback/recording devices

Trying to Left/Right Click the Start Menu and Search Button

If you have any ideas or questions please ask! Thanks for anyone who tries to help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,165 posts
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:38 AM

Your information is a little on the sketchy side, I don't know just what you can do and can't do, so I will just make some suggestions to try.

Please run System File Checker.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm.

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log %userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt

This will place the log on your desktop.  Copy and paste the log at the host website I've suggested below.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

If this doesn't resolve the issue do the following.

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.  Any third party programs that you installed will be uninstalled during this process.

1. Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings. and the I key to open Settings.

2. Click/tap on Update & Security

Then Recovery, and Get Started.

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users