Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:52 PM

This happening to me. Anyone else? When will MS get this fixed?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-cumulative-update-kb4056892-meltdown-spectre-fix-fails-to-install-519238.shtml

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,315 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:01 PM

The fact that there is an article in the tech press answers your question with regard to multiple people sharing in the experience.

I have yet to see Microsoft not resolve these issues after enough data has been collected regarding why installs are failing.  In a case like this one it will probably be highest priority, too.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:40 PM

The fact that there is an article in the tech press answers your question with regard to multiple people sharing in the experience.

I have yet to see Microsoft not resolve these issues after enough data has been collected regarding why installs are failing.  In a case like this one it will probably be highest priority, too.

Hope you are right but this has become a very high profile problem and MS is mute. Many folks are starting to say MS does not intend to fix problem and will simply declare affected processors obsolete and no longer offer support.

Edited by Artbuc, 07 January 2018 - 12:42 PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,315 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:39 PM

Hope you are right but this has become a very high profile problem and MS is mute. Many folks are starting to say MS does not intend to fix problem and will simply declare affected processors obsolete and no longer offer support.

Well, it is unrealistic to think that Microsoft is going to bust its hump regarding hardware that has not been commercially available in a very long time now.  All my machines except one are AMD processors but ones produced after 2010 (more recently than that for most of them) so they're still being used in one guise or another.

It is possible that certain processors will be considered to be obsolete.   I don't blame Microsoft or any other software developer for not retaining backward compatibility in perpetuity.  It's completely unrealistic to believe that this will be the case.

Every piece of computing equipment has both a finite service life and a finite period of support.  The former is often quite long (people are still using systems with Windows XP and earlier on them) but the latter is significantly shorter (though still years long).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:18 PM

Fair enough, but why isn’t MS making a clear statement one way or the other?

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,315 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:38 PM

Fair enough, but why isn’t MS making a clear statement one way or the other?

Because they probably have not made any determination yet.   Not everything can be decided in a matter of minutes or even after a day or two.

~ Brian Vogel

#7 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:17 AM

Positive statement by MS:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073707/windows-operating-system-security-update-block-for-some-amd-based-devi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users