Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:33 PM

Greetings;   Windows 7 O/S.  According to analysis root cause;   Boot System failed to find O/S.

Tried two system restore efforts, same results. 

It's my wife's computer. Everything was fine when she shut down but she said said the computer told her not to shut down because there was 1 update, so now that becomes the suspect but we can't get in the computer to look at the update.

Edited by hamluis, 06 January 2018 - 08:00 PM.
Merged posts - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:59 PM

If you do not have a Windows 7 install disk you can make a System Repair Disk on another Windows 7 computer. Boot it and attempt to do a System Restore. If that fails do a Startup Repair. It may take up to three attempts to do the Startup Repair.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/5409/create-a-system-repair-disc-in-windows-7/

#3 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:27 PM

Right. I went back to the computer and turned it on since I thought I saw something relating to the update thing my wife told me about. Instead, the computer came on and it was OK again and the little box popped up that said the system restore was successful and that was the result of going back to system restore to an earlier date which was the second try at the system restore. So, when you mentioned that the repair could take three tries. So, now the computer is OK and thank you for your replay.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:53 PM

Your Welcome,

I assume you used the System Restore from the System Repair disk? For three attempts I was meaning Startup Repair, not System Restore. Glad the computer is no up and running.

I would recommend you create regular disk image backups to a USB external drive, the interval depending on software installs, and updates. This is especially true if you do not have any Windows 7 install DVD. Free programs that can do this is

Macrium Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Easeus Todo Backup Free

All allow you to create bootable media should the computer no longer boot because of things like file system corruption, malware, or a failed drive. For instance, if you had a failed drive you would replace it with a new drive, boot the media the above programs create, then restore the image from the USB external drive. You would be back up in minutes with all programs and settings intact, saving you hours of work. The programs also allow you to mount the image as a virtual disk, letting you any file out of that image.

Aomei and Easeus also offer file backups, including incremental and differential. Easeus being the easiest to use. 

#5 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:52 PM

It's back again. My wife went to turn off the computer last night and this morning, the unit wouldn't boot. I went through the same procedure I did the first time it happened. We let the repair attempt run three time with no favorable result, so I went to the system restore again and that didn't seem to work, so I tried it again and to me, it didn't seem like it worked and here was that pop up again saying to run the repair and when you hit finish on that box, the unit shuts off. I turned it back on and it booted ok and she used the machine all day. What I did while it was up was to turn off the automatic upgrades so if a pop up happened, we can see what the upgrade is but that didn't seem to work since tonight when she went to shut down, she was met with that sign that an upgrade is available so, I went to the upgrades and found that the upgrade has to do with Java. So I told her to leave the machine on and I'll present to Bleeping Computer and see what kit brings. I thought that maybe she should delete Java from the programs and the reinstall it.  

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 585 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:10 PM

i would open the case and check your HDD cables make sure they are all plugged in snug.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users