Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a video editor with same compatibility as VLC has

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

Excuse me I'm looking for a video editor which can import and handle any file that VLC can play, I need to be able to handle long files (up to several hours), convert formats, export to as wide a range of file types as I can import from (including exporting to formats/codecs/settings which are compatible with almost every media player, not just VLC). I need to be able to trim the starts and ends of clips, or take pieces out of the middle and put other clips in. I don't need to be able to do greenscreen or even titles with this, I have other software than can generate that sort of stuff, what I'm after here is a video editor to let me put files together and ensure that files which come out of it are as widely compatible as possible even in cases where the inputs are only suitable for VLC to play.

I know VLC were planning a video editor of their own but heard it never worked well and I don't think it is available for download anywhere, atleast not as a complied exe or deb file but maybe as source code.

Being usable on Windows (8.1) and Linux (mint) is essential, being free is essential, being open source would be desirable.

I've looked around a little and heard about kdenlive, handbrake and openshot. Can anyone recommend these specifically and clarify if they meet my feature requirements, or recommend other programs that are suitable. The key thing being the ability to import files from as wide a range as VLC can, and like VLC being able to handle files even if they are a bit corrupted.

Thank you

Edited by rp88, 06 January 2018 - 03:30 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:13 PM

I'm having a go with all three of them, and trying to test on both windows and linux.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users