Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video/Display Issue Not Sure What Happened

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 HERCULES1X

HERCULES1X

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:23 PM

I have an older laptop: ACER Aspire.

Has been working fine, no problems.

I was watching a YOUTUBE video recently, when all of a sudden the screen turned completely orange with an erratic pattern.

I was left with no other option but to restart the computer, thinking some type of crash occurred.

Upon restarting I heard three beeps. One long and two short.

It only happens once and then the computer begins the boot up process.

I can hear the Windows chime tones/fan/harddrive etc indicating Windows/computer is starting up fine, but the screen remains black.

Not sure what the beeps indicate, but does someone know what is going on?

Tried searching for what the three beeps and the pattern means, but I am finding everything EXCEPT the three I am having.

I really need my files off of this computer if it is a major problem.

Edited by HERCULES1X, 06 January 2018 - 03:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:04 PM

Hello HERCULES1X,

Upon restarting I heard three beeps. One long and two short.

Graphics device failure normally.

Power up the notebook, once you heard the Windows chime tones/fan/hard drive etc shine a flashlight into the screen, can you see the Windows desktop icons in the background (This test best done in a darkened room).

Do you have an external screen that you can connect the notebook to via the VGA port.

I have an older laptop: ACER Aspire.

There are a lot of different models of the Acer Aspire, can you let us know your exact model so that we can do some research.

#3 HERCULES1X

HERCULES1X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:11 PM

Hello Philpower2

I have an ASPIRE 5100

I wondered if the video failure was a motherboard issue, so I connected it to an external monitor as you suggested and restarted the laptop. I received a message of "NO SIGNAL"

As I said earlier I get the three beeps at every restart and afterward the chimes from Windows as it prepares to initiate the desktop.

The hard drive operates and for a moment at start of the powering up and Windows chime I see a gentle flash on the screen and then it goes black and remains that way...

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2018 - 06:46 PM.

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:26 AM

If you are definitely getting the Windows chime it suggests that the computer is passing the power on self test (POST) only time that this would happen would be if your screen or an associated component such as the Inverter or backlight had failed and not something related/connected to the MB.

Did you try shining a flashlight into the screen as was suggested.

When you tried connecting to an external screen, did you press the Fn + the F5 key down at the same time to toggle to external display mode.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:30 AM

Acer uses the Phoenix BIOS, you can find their beep codes here.

Unfortunately there is no single or three single beep pattern listed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 HERCULES1X

HERCULES1X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:58 PM

If you are definitely getting the Windows chime it suggests that the computer is passing the power on self test (POST) only time that this would happen would be if your screen or an associated component such as the Inverter or backlight had failed and not something related/connected to the MB.

Did you try shining a flashlight into the screen as was suggested.

When you tried connecting to an external screen, did you press the Fn + the F5 key down at the same time to toggle to external display mode.

Hello Phil

YES, I shined a flashlight into the screen at night in my darkened room and I saw nothing.

I have a 22 inch VIEWSONIC monitor: LED, Clear IPS, High Def monitor.

There is an indicator light that shows when a signal is being received to the monitor, and if not the light turns orange and a message appears on the monitor saying NO SIGNAL...which is what I have at the moment.

I tried the F5 + FN buttons as you suggested and still no reaction as well as the external monitor orange light continues to indicate that it is not receiving a signal......Uggghhh

#7 HERCULES1X

HERCULES1X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

Treehugger thanks for responding

Yes, I saw those codes in my search for what the three beeps meant.

After feeling like I traveled all over the net trying to find out what the one long beep and two short beeps means, I contacted ACER in hopes they will be able to tell me what is going on.

So far I have not received a response back (It's only been 2 days so I will wait before a follow up contact).... I hope that doesn't mean they are clueless to their own product as well...

#8 HERCULES1X

HERCULES1X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:54 PM

Hello TreeHugger

I found the BIOS code that explains the beeps...allmost drove myself into a migraine researching for it.

Here is the link to it. I guess you can keep it somewhere in case someone else has a beep code issue they can not decifer  https://www.biosflash.com/e/bios-beeps.htm

The three beeps with One Long and Two Short is an IBM system of codes and it means:

"One Long and Two short Beeps........ Video (Mono/CGA Display Circuitry) issue"

When you go to the page link you will see the page segmented into AMI, AWARD, IBM, MACINTOSH, PHOENIX and under the IBM heading you will see the code beeps spelled out.

Now that I know what it means, can it be fixed if you are aware of a fix?

#9 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:40 AM

Hello HERCULES1X,

I found the BIOS code that explains the beeps...allmost drove myself into a migraine researching for it.

Could have saved you a headache, the beep code has been used by a couple of companies, Award and as you mention IBM, Award were taken over by Phoenix nearly twenty years ago so what you appear to have is the Phoenix brand name using the Award/IBM BIOS error chirps, there are four or five BIOS info sites that I have saved, one here 

Now that I know what it means, can it be fixed if you are aware of a fix?

Yours a bit of a mystery because what the error beeps are telling you is means that there is a graphics problem, what you describe to us indicates a graphics problem but you also say that you hear the Windows start up chime but have a black screen (no icons in the background either) and that extended graphics also does not work, these symptoms mean that the motherboard should not complete the power on self test due to there be no functional graphics device.

Not sure what version of Windows is on the computer but an example of a Windows start up chime here if you are hearing this while the computer is in such a condition I cannot offer an explanation tbh.

#10 HERCULES1X

HERCULES1X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:01 PM

Hey Phil

I have WINDOWS 7 as my operating system... and the video you posted of the WINDOWS CHIMES is exactly what I hear after I get the three beeps.

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2018 - 06:44 PM.

#11 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:51 AM

This is a weird one, its as if the onboard video has been disabled somehow.

If you are getting into Windows albeit with a black screen you should be able to get into the BIOS, the BIOS chip has its own drivers on it, have you tried tapping the Del or F2 immediately after powering on.

Have you tried tapping the F8 key when powering up the notebook, this would load windows own generic video drivers and the suggestion to see if the problem is bad video drivers.

You mention that you tried hooking up to an external display, pressed down the Fn and F5 keys both at the same time, still got no display on the external screen, if yes.

What is the model name or number of the Viewsonic external screen, is it known to be 100% working and the same for the video cable.

Because you are 100% definitely getting the Windows sign in chime it suggests that your internal hardware is good.

Let us know the external display and other details and we will go from there for now.

#12 HERCULES1X

HERCULES1X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:15 PM

This is a weird one, its as if the onboard video has been disabled somehow.

If you are getting into Windows albeit with a black screen you should be able to get into the BIOS, the BIOS chip has its own drivers on it, have you tried tapping the Del or F2 immediately after powering on.

Have you tried tapping the F8 key when powering up the notebook, this would load windows own generic video drivers and the suggestion to see if the problem is bad video drivers.

You mention that you tried hooking up to an external display, pressed down the Fn and F5 keys both at the same time, still got no display on the external screen, if yes.

What is the model name or number of the Viewsonic external screen, is it known to be 100% working and the same for the video cable.

Because you are 100% definitely getting the Windows sign in chime it suggests that your internal hardware is good.

Let us know the external display and other details and we will go from there for now.

Hey Phil

I have a VIEWSONIC 22 inch High Def monitor, model number VX2270SMH-LED

and yes, the monitor works perfectly... as a matter of fact, it is the monitor I am looking at right now that is attached to my desktop computer.

I had a neighbor come over with his laptop (ASUS) and connected my monitor to his laptop and it performed just fine, so it is not a monitor problem that could be suspect.

I tried as you suggested going into BIOS by tapping the DEL or F2 keys, but neither did anything. I can not say that it is not working, I can only speak from the stand point of it did not cause the monitor to respond, so that I would be able to see the BIOS option.

With this VIEWSONIC monitor if a signal is NOT being received from the VGA port it will continuously display an ORANGE light indicator. As soon as a signal is emitted out of the VGA port, the light turns a deep BLUE. My indicator light remains orange the entire time I have it attached to the laptop regardless of what I do. As soon as I switch it to the desktop the light returned back blue and it lit up with no problem.

I tried the FN and F5 keys both pressed at the same time and like I said above, it may work, but I can not see anything on the monitor to say YES or NO.

I pressed the F2 button with no end result and then restarted the computer and pressed the F8 button and neither caused the screen on either the laptop or monitor to respond.

In desperation I used the FN and light display button (located on keyboard), thinking (in a wild way), that maybe they played a part somehow in disabling the on board video (as you suggested), but that did not produce any results.

In my opinion it seems that somehow the power to the VGA/DISPLAY panel has been interrupted. Can those beeps be telling me that a circuit or something has burnt out and power is no longer getting to that VGA port or screen?

If that is the case is something other that a motherboard replacement an option?

I really do not want to sink any more money into that laptop by having to buy a new motherboard, simply because of its age and high susceptibility at this point of further problems.

But I appreciate any further suggestions you may have, should it not be some failure of the motherboard...

#13 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:13 AM

In my opinion it seems that somehow the power to the VGA/DISPLAY panel has been interrupted. Can those beeps be telling me that a circuit or something has burnt out and power is no longer getting to that VGA port or screen?

As I said previously it is a complete mystery, you should not be hearing the Windows start up chime if there is a problem with the motherboard, the power on self test should be failing which would stop Windows from even loading.

To summarise, not even getting a BIOS screen rules out a driver issue, no icons in the background of the screen rules out the backlight/inverter but could point to a bad or loose video cable/ribbon, trying an external display but getting nothing points towards a graphics chip/motherboard problem as you would still get an external display with a failed backlight/inverter and a loose or damaged video cable or ribbon but would get nothing with a failed graphics chip/motherboard.

Long shot, do you have a USB keyboard, if yes, try plugging that into the notebook and toggling the display etc, just in case for some reason the Acer keypad is not working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users