Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't start after updating motherboard

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 electricbox

electricbox

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:19 PM

Hello.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI revision 1.0. The BIOS version is F3. My operating system is Windows 10. The CPU is an Intel i5-6600. The power supply is 650 watts. The graphics card is an EVGA GTX 970. I have 8GB of RAM. I have two 1TB hard drives. I have a Blu-ray drive. I have an Intel network adapter.

I have had this computer for almost two years now with no problems.

I read that I needed to update my motherboard in order to protect against the recent problems discovered in Intel CPUs.

I read that I should use the "GIGABYTE Intel ME Critical FW Update Utility" to do this. I used version B17.1218.1 of the utility. When I ran the utility, it said, "Error 8746: Firmware update not initiated due to invalid image length." A post in the forum for my motherboard manufacturer suggested that I could upgrade the firmware manually by running FWUpdLcl64.exe with ME_11.8_Consumer_D0_H_Production.bin (these files came with the utility). I did this.

The update installed successfully. When I restarted my computer, it showed the BIOS splash screen, then the Intel Boot Agent, and then the BIOS splash screen again. After this, the computer shut off and rebooted, restarting the process. I can still enter the BIOS setup, but Windows will not start. The computer does not make any beeps.

I have tried pressing the "Load Optimized Defaults" button in the BIOS before restarting. I've tried using the "Previous Values" button in the BIOS before restarting. I've tried connecting the CLR_CMOS pins before loading the defaults and restarting. I tried starting the computer with the Windows 10 setup disc in the disc drive (I made sure the drive was first in the boot order).

I tried holding down the power button for 30 seconds while the computer was unplugged before starting the computer. I tried starting the computer with and without Intel CPU virtualization enabled. I tried using a bootable USB drive made with Rufus to run FreeDos. I tried starting the computer with the hard drives disconnected.  

None of these changed my computer's behavior.

I have NOT tried using Q-FLASH to change the firmware yet.

What, if anything, can I do to fix this?

Thank you in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:51 PM

Hi,

What happens exactly when you try to boot from the Windows 10 DVD?

What is the version of the BIOS you have?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 electricbox

electricbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:11 PM

Trying to boot from the Windows 10 DVD has no effect. After the BIOS splash screens and the Intel Boot Agent, the computer shuts off and reboots as before.

The BIOS version is F3. The BIOS date is 07/24/2015. The BIOS ID is 8A09AG0R. I can't find another way to refer to the BIOS.

#4 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:47 PM

Intel Boot Agent;

How do I prevent the Intel Boot Agent from executing?

1. Enter your BIOS configuration and find the order settings for the boot devices.
  2. Move the boot agent down the list after the hard drive or the device you prefer to boot from.
  3. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005626/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

You supposed to have bios version F22c, dated 12-01-2017 it has the Intel ME patch (Update Intel ME for security vulnerabilities)

http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-Z170XP-SLI-rev-10#support-dl

Windows update will provide you with the patches for the latest Intel flaws (Meltdown & Spectre)

Edited by Joe C, 06 January 2018 - 02:06 PM.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:49 PM

See if you can update the BIOS using Q-FLASH

Version F3 is very outdated the latest version available https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170XP-SLI-rev-10#support-dl is F22C

Edit: By the way those Intel ME updates don't have nothing to do with the recent flaws Meltdown & Spectre

You can read about the security problems related to Intel ME for example on the following links:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/intel-fixes-critical-bugs-in-management-engine-its-secret-cpu-on-chip/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/hardware/acer-dell-fujitsu-hp-lenovo-panasonic-impacted-by-intel-me-security-bugs/

Edited by SleepyDude, 06 January 2018 - 02:37 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#6 electricbox

electricbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

I used Q-FLASH to update the BIOS to version F22C. Windows now starts, and everything seems to be normal.

The problem seems to be solved. Thank you for your help and your quick responses.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:35 PM

Good. It seems Gigabyte fail to include a note that the Intel ME Critical FW Update most likely requires a specific BIOS version.

___
Rui

#8 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:28 PM

Good. It seems Gigabyte fail to include a note that the Intel ME Critical FW Update most likely requires a specific BIOS version.

If you check, I think you'll find that all manufactures (oem and retail) will require a bios or chipset firmware  flash to fix the Intel ME flaw

On the bios download web page from Gigabyte, is is noted in the description

Intel_ME.jpg

Edited by Joe C, 06 January 2018 - 09:08 PM.

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:15 PM

I don't know why they would offer the ME update on its own really.  But obviously they do.

Edited by jonuk76, 06 January 2018 - 06:15 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:00 PM

Something to do with the firmware level, your bios is the first thing to recognize the chipset and start the boot.

I got this blurb;

If you are at risk, you must obtain and install firmware updates from your computer's manufacturer, if and when they become available. The new code was developed by Intel, but it needs to be cryptographically signed by individual hardware vendors in order for it to be accepted and installed by the engine.

from here;

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/20/intel_flags_firmware_flaws/

Edited by Joe C, 06 January 2018 - 09:10 PM.

#11 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:34 AM

I don't know why they would offer the ME update on its own really.  But obviously they do.

Its two different things the Intel ME firmware and the BIOS, that's why they are independent. The Intel ME code is provided by Intel but the features available are decided by the manufacture I guess and the hardware involved. The BIOS need to know about the ME part and in some there are options "to control the other module" most likely the reason that the BIOS must be also updated.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users