Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Things to do with a Smart Switch

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sasschary

sasschary

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 780 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:26 AM

Hello!

So, I just got an Ethernet switch for my dorm room so I could connect more than one device to Ethernet (Darn college dorm with only one Ethernet port...). I got a Netgear GS108Tv2, and yes, I know it's a bit overkill for a dorm room, but I'm kinda the king of overkill... Right now, I've got my laptop, AV receiver, desktop, raspberry pi, and smart TV connected, and it works just fine. I have a couple of ideas on what to use the switch for, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on interesting projects I could use the switch for.

My ideas right now are to set up my desktop and my pi as a NAS and a Snort intrusion detection system, respectively, since I'm not using them for much of anything right now.

So anyway, that's my situation, and I'd like to know if anyone has any other things I might do in order to learn more about the switch and network management.

Thanks,

Sasschary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:42 AM

The cool thing is that the switch not only has layer 2 capabilities, but layer 3 also when you consider MAC/IP addy communication, which means remote access should be available through some management console! (or something of a kind)

How about the desktop running as your own personal, encrypted SSH server, for you and the lads to access? 

Linux based of course, keep the admins guessing providing they haven't closed port access........but there are a lot to close!

Good luck!  :thumbup2:

Edited by Replicator, 06 January 2018 - 08:48 AM.

#3 sasschary

sasschary
  • Topic Starter

• 780 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:05 AM

Hi, Replicator,

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, since I'm running my desktop as a NAS (Which was my successful project for the day! Now to just transfer all of my media from my laptop onto the NAS and I should be good to use it as a media streaming device instead of taking up a ton of space on my laptop, so yay!), I don't get much control over the software that goes on it other than what the Synology OS provides. So, while I probably could use an SSH connection, I'm not sure how much it would do for me. I could, however, get an SSH server running on the pi.

Tomorrow's (Or later today, if you choose to pay attention to the fact that I'm writing this at just before 2 in the morning) project will be first to finish writing my essay for class... Sigh... But, if time allows, I would also like to set up the switch so that only devices which are connected to the switch can access the NAS. If I still have more time, I'll start working on the Snort IDS on my pi.

Also, come Monday, one of my friends will be loaning me a dual-port Gigabit NIC, so I'll have a bit of hardware work to do, but afterward, I'll have a faster connection to the NAS, since right now, I've only got a 100 Mbps connection.

One other thing I'd like to do eventually is, once I go home, I'd like to bring a few extra hard drives back to school so I can have more storage space than my current 450 gigs and I'd also like to set up a RAID array.

I'm enjoying this quite a bit, and I've hardly even done anything with the switch so far other than connecting Ethernet cables to it. I can't say I ever thought I would have a need for 6 Ethernet ports, but apparently I do now...

Sasschary

#4 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:12 AM

Awesome....makes sense to utilize NAS to free up clients, and the extra storage will serve you well.

100Mbps aint to shabby, is that down, whats up?

Anyway, sounds like a load of fun, and the new NIC should make it happier.

All the best :)  

Edited by Replicator, 07 January 2018 - 08:49 AM.

#5 sasschary

sasschary
  • Topic Starter

• 780 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:51 AM

100Mbps aint to shabby, is that down, whats up?

Down and up are both supposedly 100 Mbps, although somehow I get closer to the 100 Mbps with my upload speed, which seems strange to me... The NIC I will be borrowing is a Gigabit, as is my laptop and the switch.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

You do recognize that since you are in a dorm environment if you do not properly secure your equipment anyone on the dorm network may be able to access it, right?

#7 sasschary

sasschary
  • Topic Starter

• 780 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

You do recognize that since you are in a dorm environment if you do not properly secure your equipment anyone on the dorm network may be able to access it, right?

I do indeed. Hence the reason I am putting my NAS on a VLAN which cannot be accessed outside of my switch, and have disabled admin panel access to the switch from all but port 2, to which my laptop is connected.

#8 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:09 AM

I do indeed. Hence the reason I am putting my NAS on a VLAN which cannot be accessed outside of my switch, and have disabled admin panel access to the switch from all but port 2, to which my laptop is connected.

Good work.....I'm hoping the new NIC has monitor mode capabilities, but I'm guessing that's why its been added? 

The new tool-shed is taking shape!

Edited by Replicator, 11 January 2018 - 08:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users