Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows updater service not working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gbrockway

gbrockway

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:50 PM

I am running Windows7 Home Premium 64.  When I try to check for updates I get a message that the computer cannot check for updates because that service is not running. I have tried rebooting but that didn't work.  Any solutions or ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:37 AM

Go into services, scroll down to Windows Update.  Click on it.  If status is "STARTED", click the drop down menu and change it to "Disabled".  Reboot.  Go back to Services and change the status now to "Started", then go back to the installed programs list and click on the Windows Update button.

The restart may clear your problems.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:45 AM

You need to check on two Services, not just the Windows Update service.  The other service needed to be checked is the Background Intelligence Transfer service.  

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open Run box.

Type services.msc in the Run box, then click/tap OK

When Services opens scroll down to the Background Intelligence Transfer service and double click on it.

Check to see that the Startup type: is set to Manual.

Check to see that the Service status: is Running.

If either of these is not correct change them so that they are correct.

Do the same with the Windows Update service.  The Startup type and Service status are both the same as above.

Both of these services have the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service.  If there is a problem setting either of the services check on the RPC.

Restart the computer when you are done.

Edited by dc3, 06 January 2018 - 11:49 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,070 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:42 PM

Go into Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update and change Windows Update settings to "Never check for updates (not recommended)", uncheck everything else, click ok and then run Windows Update.

Read this related discussion topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Jimbo4u

Jimbo4u

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:57 PM

From time to time I have found the WSUS Offline updater to be very helpful. Google WSUS Offline and download the file. Create a Temp folder on your desktop. Place the download there and unpack. Run the generator. Even though it is an FTP download, it takes a while. Once done Run the Installer. Reboot and Updates should be okay after that.

looking foward into the past or backward into the future i walk along the highest hills and i laugh about it all the way - e e cummings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users