Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 won't boot, not even safe mode and repair doesn't work either

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rockfx123

rockfx123

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:56 PM

Greetings, 

Please help.... My Windows 7 will not boot. I tried Safe Boot...nothing...Repair...says It cannot repair. I've figured out how to bypass password issue getting into System Recovery. From there I tried System Restore but an "unexpected error" came up. System cannot find specified file.

Now, I did find an old post from 6 years ago recommending FRST, which I was able to run on my "Dead7". But now I'm not sure what to do because that thread went in a different direction than my issue. I do have the file FRST produced, but that's as far as I can go.

Can somebody PLEASE PLEASE ( i know, i'm begging...lol) help with this? This is not an "online" pc as I only use it for music, although it has been online recently but that was only for drivers..

I appreciate any and all comments and help..

Thank You...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:17 PM

FRST is a tool used with malware situations...which is why it's not allowed or used in this forum.  We do not address malware issues.

If you want to post your FRST log in the proper forum because you suspect malware...then please post it in the Malware Removal Logs forum (link is in my signature).

The only useful data which you have provided thus far...is that your system won't boot.  There can be any number of reasons for this, ranging from hardware to O/S to malware issues.

If it were me...I would check the obvious suspect, the hard drive itself, by running the long generic test of SeaTools for Windows on said hard drive.  If nothing else, that should help eliminate something from consideration.

Louis

#3 rockfx123

rockfx123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:33 PM

Louis, 

Thank you for your reply. I was unaware that FRST was a malware focused program and not strictly a system recovery tool. As I stated earlier, I just found an old post that seemed to be exactly the issue I was having, but took off in a different direction. I do not believe it is malware related due to the fact this pc is not used online. 

With that said, I'm presuming that it's HD related. After reviewing the stats on Sea Tools I'm less than confident in it. Is there another recommended program that I can use (via flash drive) to analyze and possibly eradicate any issues, providing that there are issues and not a dead HD? 

My funds are, at this point, non existing so I'm hoping to find a free program to help me out.

I really appreciate your reply. If you cannot help maybe someone else on the forum could??

Thanks again, 

MIchael

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:47 PM

Hard drive manufacturers make the drives covered by their diagnostic tools.  They develop the SMART attributes used by said drives.

To assume or posit as a concept...that some 3d-party devises a better tool for a given hard drive made by one of the hard drive manufacturers...presumes more than I can handle...it could happen, but it's not very likely, IMO.

Others here have more knowledge and certainly more experience than I have with computers/Windows...I don't like to make random guesses about what could be wrong when a system does not boot.  I like hands-on but, lacking hands-on, I prefer some useful data about the system before I throw out opinions founded on nothing but what's in my head.

Louis

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:20 PM

What is the manufacture name of the drive that you have?  Is this an SSD or Hard Disk Drive?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 rockfx123

rockfx123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:40 PM

Thanks for all the advice. After digging deep I found the boot order mysteriously changed from HD to CD-ROM....????....have no clue as to how but it's up and running..

Thanks again..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users