Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to free up space, can't find what's eating it

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Genisay

Genisay

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:00 PM

I have an old IBM ThinkPad T20 running WindowsXP that still works pretty well that I was hoping to still get some use out of, but for some reason it shows only having 759MBs free out of a 7.36GB hard drive. I have long since cleaned this machine out, it contains almost no files, I have removed every program outside of one those that might effect operation or can not be removed. I have even removed as many unnecessary ghost files as I can safely, cleaned the trash, did disc clean up. I haven't run Defrag just yet, but from past experience, I know it's not going to make a huge difference.
A
I know the system software can take up space, but this seems rediculous and I can not seem to find any folders hogging evenhalf the space being used.
So what could it be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:50 PM

A 8GB hard drive is mighty small. Look at your System Restore Settings and dial back the amount of space used or turn it off all together. Use CCleaner to delete all Update backup files. It will be listed as Hotfix Uninstallers under the Advanced Section.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/safely-remove-windows-xp-update-backup-files-to-free-up-hard-disk-space/

Download WinDirstat and see what and how much space is being used on the drive.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windirstat/

I would recommend you do not use this computer to browse email, online purchases, or banking. There are just too many security holes in XP that have not been patched since end of support.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:04 PM

check the windows logs folder, you should have a CBS folder, check files in there and see if you have any repeating files sizes aroun 160,000KB - 160mb.  also check for the same think in the windows temp folder.  you have these then you need to delete them all.

#4 midders

midders

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:46 PM

You could try CCleaner or similar to remove any temporary files etc. and TreeSizeFree is useful for detecting which folders are using large amounts of space, but as has been noted above:

a) it's a tiny hard drive; you could pick up a slightly larger one on ebay for a few quid and the same with upgrading the RAM

B) the security holes in XP are many and varied, I would recommend that you never connect to a network with it

c) have you thought of running one of the linux flavours on it, or even Windows 7 which I successfully installed on an ancient laptop that nowhere near met the MS minimum system requirements.

Sláinte

midders

Edited by midders, 17 January 2018 - 03:48 PM.

#5 fyshstyx

fyshstyx

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:16 PM

Depending on what programs your need, what files you need, and many more factors, the only recommended thing to do here is get a bigger drive if possible. If not ( you should still do this anyways ), clear the cache and all temporary files often ( browsing the web for 3 months can take up over 1GB on your HDD! ), and store as much as possible on a network drive, or Google Drive ( you can setup this as a network drive with a few simple steps, I haven't done this personally, but I know a few people who have. ) This should save you up to 3GB of storage on that drive. That is, if you aren't gaming on it or using many programs.

A way to find what is eating up your storage is to find a program that can visually show you what files & folders are using up an amount of disk space. Combine this with my solution above and your drive won't be running low ever again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users