Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window's 10 reinstalling OS never completed.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 raidencmc

raidencmc

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:25 PM

I have a laptop I wanted to reinstall a clean copy of Windows 10. I began the process and it stopped at 64%. I let it go for over an hour and nothing happened. I rebooted and it would show the Acer screen and then reboot. I started looking online for a solution and read that I needed to do run Windows automatic repair and try again. I tried that and it said that it could not repair the computer. So I think I need to make a usb boot drive and try again. But I'm not sure. My model is an Acer R3 series n15ws R3-131T-C1YF.
It has no disk drive and I have no need for any of the data on it. I just want a clean install on it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:46 PM

When you say no disk drive I assume you mean a DVD drive, correct?

Download the Media Creation Tool but instead of opting for the USB flash drive creation select iso download. Download Rufus. Run Rufus with your USB flash drive attached. Select GPT partition scheme in the dropdown box. Leave all boxes as checked. You may see a iso image dropdown box or FreeDos. Select iso image, click the small icon and browse to the iso file of Windows 10. Press Start.

Boot the USB flash drive. At the screen that shows language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt window. Type the following commands.

diskpart        Opens the diskpart command prompt

list disk

select disk X             Where X is the number associated with the disk you will install Windows to. On a single drive computer X will be 0.

clean                         Deletes all current partitions on the drive and sets the drive up for a clean install

convert GPT              Initializes the disk as GPT required for booting a UEFI computer. If you get an error ignore it.

exit                          

exit 

See the below guide for clean installing Windows 8.1, The same steps are valid for 10. At step 9 select Custom Install. At step 10 do not select Advanced Drive Options as the drive has already been wiped of partitions. Click next at step 10. Windows will auto partition and format the drive.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254                 

#3 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:04 PM

Yes no DVD drive. Will I always have to use the usb

Edited by raidencmc, 05 January 2018 - 05:19 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

I did not give the link to the Media Creation Tool if you do not have it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

#5 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:24 PM

I looked at the link and it seemed to me I didn't need to download rufus to do the install.  I don't need the laptop to be back to the original way it was just want windows 10 on it.

I did not give the link to the Media Creation Tool if you do not have it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:57 PM

Sometimes the USB flash drive the Media Creation Tool creates gives problems vs ones created by Rufus. Using the Media Creation Tool to download an iso file and Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive along with the instructions I gave in the previous post will give you a clean install, wiping the current OS on the drive.

You can either use the Media Creation Tool to create the USB directly or download the iso file and use Rufus. That's your decision.

#7 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:00 PM

Sometimes the USB flash drive the Media Creation Tool creates gives problems vs ones created by Rufus. Using the Media Creation Tool to download an iso file and Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive along with the instructions I gave in the previous post will give you a clean install, wiping the current OS on the drive.

You can either use the Media Creation Tool to create the USB directly or download the iso file and use Rufus. That's your decision.

A couple of other questions.

Will I always have to boot from usb drive?

What about the product key?  I can't find it.  I searched in the box and the instructions. 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:07 PM

A couple of other questions.

Will I always have to boot from usb drive?

What about the product key?  I can't find it.  I searched in the box and the instructions. 

No, the USB drive is only booted once to install Windows 10. After Windows 10 is installed to the HDD or in your case the eMMC you will not need the USB flash drive. If Windows 10 was pre-installed on the computer the key is embedded in firmware. If the computer was upgraded from a previous OS the the license is digital and stored on Microsoft servers locked to your hardware ID. When it asks for a key click next without entering anything. What box are you talking about? The box the computer arrived in?

#9 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:09 PM

Yes the box it came in.  I will give it a try thank you very much.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:12 PM

Your Welcome, 

If you have the time post an update. Thanks. You may want to check your computer's support site for any driver's. Download those to a flash drive so you have those ahead of time.

#11 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:50 PM

I am not sure what I should delete and where I should install it.

Attached Files

Edited by raidencmc, 05 January 2018 - 08:51 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:59 PM

Well, it looks like Acer has a recovery partition. If you wish to set it back to a factory state you can use it or you can delete everything and install Windows to the empty drive.

If you would have used the diskpart commands I posted then those partitions would have been deleted.

See the below page for doing a factory reset on an Acer computer. It's for 8.1 but I believe the procedure is the same for Windows 10. Press the Alt and tap F10 at boot. There may also be something in your Windows that shows Acer Management where is will let you do a factory reset.

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35232/~/how-to-restore-windows-on-my-acer-computer-using-alt-%2B-f10-on-startup

#13 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:36 AM

I couldn't get it to reinstall from the recovery partition. That was the whole reason I ended up here. This is the error I get. When I click ok it reboots and shows the same thing.

Attached Files

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:44 AM

Okay, then delete all partitions and follow the clean install guide or use the diskpart commands I posted to clean the drive before install.

#15 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:01 PM

I can't get it to the command prompt. It just boots to the screen in the picture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users