Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU fan speed error

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 RCAF1991

RCAF1991

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:16 PM

Hey everyone, I've got a custom built PC that was put together a little over a year ago. All the hardware has been running perfectly fine without any issues until I suddenly starting getting an error on boot up about a CPU fan speed error. I've cleaned out the case to make sure it wasn't something physically causing the problem, it was suggested that the fan is dying and the CPU cooling system needed to be replaced. But I just wanted to get more opinions before going ahead and replacing it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:22 PM

open the case and look at the fan, is it spinning?  is it stuggling to spin fast?

a visual inspection of the fan will tell you what you need to know.

even dirt build up under the fan can cause issues.

#3 RCAF1991

RCAF1991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:21 PM

I've cleaned out all the fans with compressed air. They all appear to be visually spinning at normal speeds without trouble.

Edited by hamluis, 06 January 2018 - 01:09 PM.

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:52 AM

You have not mentioned checking the CPU fan settings in the BIOS, if not done, check there and let us know what RPMs are reported for your CPU cooling fan.

Being an ASUS MB there is also the AI Suite software that is intended for monitoring temps, voltages and fan speeds etc.

#5 RCAF1991

RCAF1991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:58 PM

You have not mentioned checking the CPU fan settings in the BIOS, if not done, check there and let us know what RPMs are reported for your CPU cooling fan.

Being an ASUS MB there is also the AI Suite software that is intended for monitoring temps, voltages and fan speeds etc.

vf84r4.jpg

2r79948.jpg

#6 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:08 PM

No RPMs but temps look ok.

#7 RCAF1991

RCAF1991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:26 PM

No RPMs but temps look ok.

This was just after booting up the PC. CPU cooling fan is spinning but the temp for the CPU keeps going up.

#8 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:35 PM

Couple of other ways of checking, run both and post a couple of screenshots for us if you will.

Download Speedfan from here and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

#9 RCAF1991

RCAF1991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:45 AM

Will do, I'm not sure how to get past the initial error screen though.

#10 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:14 PM

Will do, I'm not sure how to get past the initial error screen though.

Sorry but a bit confused now, the above suggests that you cannot boot into Windows while the following from your reply # 7 suggests that you can, please advise as to which is correct if you will.

This was just after booting up the PC. CPU cooling fan is spinning but the temp for the CPU keeps going up.

#11 RCAF1991

RCAF1991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:36 PM

Sorry I meant these were the temps shortly after turning on the PC. The only thing I'm able to do from the first error screen indicating a fan error is hit F1 to access the BIOS utility. I'm not sure how to continue the start up as per normal ignoring the first screen in order to download the programs you listed.

#12 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:15 PM

Have you tried pressing the F5 and F10 keys.

If yes to the above a closer inspection of the CPU cooling fan and the CPU fan connection to the header on the MB needs to be done, will post the steps after your update if needed.

#13 RCAF1991

RCAF1991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:05 PM

Have you tried pressing the F5 and F10 keys.

If yes to the above a closer inspection of the CPU cooling fan and the CPU fan connection to the header on the MB needs to be done, will post the steps after your update if needed.

Yes, F5 just restores the default settings and F10 saves it and resets back to the initial error screen

#14 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:31 PM

There should be a setting somewhere in the BIOS to ignore CPU fan error's.  It says in the error message something about disabling the lower fan speed limit.  Doing that should allow you to boot to Windows.

I've seena case where a fan tacho apparently failed and no longer sends a signal on the RPM pin.  The fan still worked otherwise.  Only solution if that is the issue is a new fan.

7sbvuf-6.png

#15 RCAF1991

RCAF1991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:12 AM

I've physically disconnected and reconnected the connection for the CPU fan, same error.

I can't figure out how to disable to lower fan speed limit in the bio menu to give that a try

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users