Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot problem

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Babakasheshe

Babakasheshe

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:49 AM

During a windows update of our Acer laptop there was a power cut. The internet went off. Now, when starting we get the Acer splash screen followed by: 'Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation.' together with the revolving dots.

Restarting just repeats the above.

I cannot access the boot menu to attempt to boot from a Memory Stick.

I have two priorities:
1. Recover infirmation from this computer.
2. Get it working again.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Edited by Platypus, 05 January 2018 - 08:46 AM.
Deleted 2 duplicates.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:10 AM

To do the following you will need the Windows 10 installation media to boot from.

You can use the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media for a disc or flash drive.

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

Follow the instructions to create the installation media.

In order to boot from the installation media you will need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the type of media (DVD-ROM or USB device) is the first device in the boot order and the ssd/hdd the second device.

a. Insert the installation DVD or USB and boot Windows 10 Technical Preview from it.

b. In the Windows setup page select the Language to install, Time and currency, and the keyboard or input method and click on next.

c. Click on Repair your computer and select Troubleshoot.

d. Click on Advanced options and select Command prompt.

After opening Command prompt copy and paste the commands below one at a time, press Enter after each command.

bootrec /Fixboot

bootrec /FixMBR

bootrec /RebuildBCD

Then restart your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Babakasheshe

Babakasheshe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:24 AM

Thanks Bleeping Treehugger for what appears to be a very clear and precise procedure. Will do this tomorrow morning and look forward to posting a satisfactory outcome.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

** I just now remembered you saying your internet went down!  Ok, forget the battery part; however, an UPS that houses your laptop and your modem/router might have given you the time needed for the download to complete. **

I'm wondering why your battery didn't take over and run the laptop until the download was completed.

I finally got an UPS to help with power fluctuations, brownouts, blackouts, surges, etc.  The UPS gives me a grace period of roughly 30 minutes to save data, close programs, and shutdown -- when a power outage "appears" to be likely longer than 30 minutes.

Edited by RolandJS, 05 January 2018 - 11:29 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Babakasheshe

Babakasheshe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:32 AM

I'm wondering why your battery didn't take over and run the laptop until the download was completed.

I finally got an UPS to help with power fluctuations, brownouts, blackouts, surges, etc.  The UPS gives me a grace period of roughly 30 minutes to save data, close programs, and shutdown -- when a power outage "appears" to be likely longer than 30 minutes.

The laptop was not the problem. It was power to the router etc. I always used a UPS when I lived in sub-Saharan Africa. Here in Denmark power fluctuations and outages are a rare event - except when windows is updating it seems!

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:26 PM

"...It was power to the router etc..."  I edited my earlier post after rereading your opening post.  Was the router on your UPS?  If yes, I'm wondering how it lost power.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:40 AM

@Babakasheshe,

Please do what I requested.  We need to see if we can resolve the problem.  We can figure out how this happened later.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:03 AM

Post number two by dc3 needs to be done; our battery discussion can be put on hold until after post #2 is completed.

#9 Babakasheshe

Babakasheshe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

@Babakasheshe,

Please do what I requested.  We need to see if we can resolve the problem.  We can figure out how this happened later.

I am quite aware of how it happened and this is not my concern.

I have created a both a USB stick and a DVD. In both cases, although the DVD takes longer, they return me to the 'Windows cannot complete...' screen.

Further suggestions would be very appreciated please dc3.  

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:01 PM

At what point in the installation do you receive this message?

Do you get to the point where you see the page like the one below?

Attached File  w10 repair image.PNG   49.13KB   0 downloads

If you can, select the Startup Repair option from the System Recovery Options in the installation.

#11 Babakasheshe

Babakasheshe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:09 PM

Didn't get that far. As my first post. I get the Acer opening splash screen - their logo - and on top of this the 'Windows cannot...' box.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:20 PM

If you are getting the Acer login page you and I are not on the same page.  I was under the impression that you were using the installation media to access Windows.  This is why I had suggested the Startup Repair from the installation media.

Boot into the BIOS.  (The BIOS is not part of the operating system so it doesn't matter if there is a problem with Windows or not.)  You will need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the type of installation media being used is enabled for the first device in the boot order and the hdd/sdd is the second device.  If you are using a installation disc you will want to select DVD-ROM, if you are using a flash drive you will want to use a USB option.

#13 Babakasheshe

Babakasheshe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:05 PM

OK. Now booted from USB. I have a blue screen with a panel entitled 'Windows Setup.

With a meesage which says: 'It looks like you started an upgrade and booted from installation media. If you want to continue with the upgrade, remove the media from your PC and click Yes. If you want to perform a clean installation instead, click No.

Advice please.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:05 PM

When you start the installation it goes through several Windows images with options for such things as Language, architecture, edtion, etc.  One of the pages you should see should be the one below.

Attached File  w10 repair image.PNG   49.13KB   1 downloads

This is what you want to run.

#15 Babakasheshe

Babakasheshe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:47 AM

Now have functioning PC. Thanks DC3 for your clear instructions and patience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users