Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EVGA GT 1030 causing choppy playbacl and laggy Adobe programs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 michael8t6

michael8t6

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:03 AM

Hi,

I recently upgraded my (very) old Dell Optiplex 330 tower. Part of the upgrade was a EVGA low profile GT 1030 graphics card.

Since installing it I noticed that video playback started becoming very choppy and is making it very unwatchable. It only happens when I'm on the actual browser tab that has the video playing, if I flick over to another tab the choppiness vanished.

I also use the Adobe suite a lot (mainly Illustrator) and noticed that if I enable GPU boosting, the program becomes extremely laggy and is almost unusable. This is not ideal as my main income relies on being able to use the whole of the Adobe suite.

If I take out the graphics card, then all of the above issues disappear! At first I thought it could have potentially been an issue with power consumption as I was using the stock PSU that comes with the Optiplex 330 (300W). However, this morning my new 650W PSU arrived. I've installed that and the problem is still there...

I've uninstalled the Nvidia driver and reinstalled it, that's all up to date and seems to be working fine as I can run the Nvidia experience software and tweak the settings from there without a problem. 

Anyone have any suggestions on what to try next?

The graphics card is this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-GeForce-Passive-Graphics-02G-P4-6332-KR/dp/B071P2RYHG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515151511&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+nvidia+geforce+gt+1030

Current setup:

Dell optiplex 330 (mini tower version)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66GHz

Yorkfield 45nm Technology

Ram: 4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz

Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0KP561

Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 (EVGA)

Storage: 931GB Seagate ST31000424CS ATA Device (SATA) 1863GB Hitachi HCS5C2020ALA632 ATA Device (SATA)

PSU: Corsair CX650M 650W

Edited by michael8t6, 05 January 2018 - 07:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 michael8t6

michael8t6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:30 AM

Update: 

So I just uninstalled the nvidia drivers and tried running from the default plug and play driver that Microsoft defaults to. All the issues are gone but now I can't harness the extra features the GPU provides to Adobe. So I guess the issue has now been resolved if an admin wants to close this thread. I'm off to moan at Nvidia... 

Edited by hamluis, 05 January 2018 - 12:59 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:01 PM

We don't normally close topics, preferring to continue to make the posted info available to someone who may find it useful today or in the future.

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Happy computing :).

Louis

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:37 PM

To be honest, I'm not sure it has been resolved.  Using generic VGA drivers that don't make use of the cards acceleration features doesn't seem a very satisfactory solution, and probably negates the reason for buying an upgraded video card in the first place.  Unfortunately I've got no real suggestions other than perhaps trying different versions of the Nvidia drivers.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users