Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Business networking w/NAS. What do I need?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tunnelboy

Tunnelboy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:52 AM

Hi there. I run a partnership business. Me in California, and my partner in another state. I also have a Synology NAS drive that has all the company files on there. It is mapped as a drive letter on my computer. What would I need so that my partner can use his Windows computer and access this NAS drive in kind of a similar way? What I mean is as easy as opening up explorer and looking at your own local drive? Loading files, editing, saving, etc.

To clarify, we want to both access this NAS drive as if it were our own local drive.  Don't want to FTP or anything like that. Just the ability to open explorer and access the NAS on both ends.

I hope that makes sense. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:56 AM

Honestly a cloud service would probably be a better option.  Especially if you're not on a business Internet plan.   Your partner can only access the files as fast as your upload speed.  So, while you get fast LAN speeds they are essentially downloading everything from the NAS.

This article tells you how to set up the NAS for access over the Internet.

#3 Tunnelboy

Tunnelboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

Maybe I should have mentioned. We are both on a business plan. Unlimited 200Mbps down and 20Mbps up (approx). I should also mention we're talking 16TB's of data on the NAS. It's a ton of data. We both have the bandwidth and don't want to pay storage (and possibly transfer) fees for this much data.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

In that case take a look at the article I linked previously for how to configure the NAS to be available over the Internet.

My main concern with letting anything having Internet access is security.  If the security isn't configured properly anyone can access your data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users