Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Job ad criticised for 'asking too much' of a nanny

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:43 AM

“Hours will be 2:45-6:15pm Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and you will be caring for our two children aged eight and four.

"The role involves school pick-ups in the Balmain/Birchgrove area so the successful applicant will need his/her own car as well as a clean driver’s licence.”

The ad requests the nanny has a “kind and generous nature” along with excellent English as “you will be helping our Year 3 child with spelling and other homework”.

In addition to that, further tasks include preparing dinner for the two children, making school lunches, walking the dog and light housework “such as folding washing”.

A passerby has already criticised the ad, writing with some sarcasm: “Don’t want much for $25/hr do you?”

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/38489871/balmain-family-criticised-over-balmain-ad/

Some Aussies just refuse to work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:42 AM

Don’t want much for $25/hr do you?”

....they are probably from THIS Generation

https://www.facebook.com/smizzymusic/videos/10154718480226427/

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:34 AM

Don't know much about the AU economy, but $25/hour is above average income in most parts of the US for those with only high school education. :)

Am sure that I could handle that little bit of work, even with my health issues. That's only 3.5 hours per day, 4 days out of the week, total of 14 hours for $350. 

I'd take the job in a heartbeat! :P

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:45 AM

Always ends up being more to do than what's noted but if the person works out really well will they surprise them doubling that or just continue to drive them with the expected extra favours and their mouth?

On the other hand she ,I mean the person might be perfect and there's a significant raise plus more benefits unlimited mobiles and a new car and yes that does happen.

Edited by PerspectiveObjective, 05 January 2018 - 09:49 AM.

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

#5 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:48 PM

“Hours will be 2:45-6:15pm Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and you will be caring for our two children aged eight and four.

"The role involves school pick-ups in the Balmain/Birchgrove area so the successful applicant will need his/her own car as well as a clean driver’s licence.”

The ad requests the nanny has a “kind and generous nature” along with excellent English as “you will be helping our Year 3 child with spelling and other homework”.

In addition to that, further tasks include preparing dinner for the two children, making school lunches, walking the dog and light housework “such as folding washi

Minimum wage in San Diego California is $11.50/hour  (last I checked) which is taxed....thus the $25/hour for the described job is great and more than likely "cash!" Take the job in a blink and savor every minute with those kiddos.

My ten cents worth, this job description is only a small representation of what my "privilege" was as a mother raising my son. My hours were 365/24/7. This nanny job description does not include the other job requirements I held (to name a few): giving never ending protection and love to my son, to nurture a husband, full time chef, full time chauffeur, shopping, cleaning, all laundry services, social arrangements, financial planning, bill paying, yard work, holiday planning, school volunteering, community service, part-time job; somewhere in that mix, continued education to provide the best direction for my son to become a successful adult and somehow personal enrichment, participating with my extended family etc.  

My wage: there was not one penny that I would have accepted for the pleasure to nurture and love my child then, and what continues to this day. 

I am not special or puffing myself up in what I have shared. What was (and is) incredible to me was how many ladies I know, that did all of what I have shared above, and maintained a full time career! (BTW, this is only from a female POV)

Again...embrace the position at $25/hour.

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:41 PM

Having your own kids you'll do that and more for nothing.

Sounds like a deal to me as if you can't cut the mustard then you walk away which you can't do with your own kids as much as you want to at times.

Speak from experience 4 kids and eight grandchildren an experience you will love and hate at times. :wink:

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#7 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:17 AM

25 Australian dollars works out to 19.60 US. Generous, I'd say.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1285&bih=596&ei=qHxTWr3gN-LKjwTwx4XQCg&q=25+australian+dollar+to+us+dollar&oq=25+australian+dollar+to+us+dollar&gs_l=psy-ab.12...14986.26464.0.28527.9.9.0.0.0.0.227.1245.0j5j2.7.0....0...1c.1j2.64.psy-ab..2.2.398...33i22i29i30k1j33i160k1.0.-Z4HKnlpBFU
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:51 PM

25 Australian dollars works out to 19.60 US. Generous, I'd say.

Yes, very much so in my neck of the woods & I'd imagine across 85% of the US. :)

Maybe in a few isolated areas that primarily consists of the 1%'ers below the norm, elsewhere generous pay. As others has stated, many of us, including myself, has done the same, because it was our responsibility to do so.

I'd still take the gig for $19.60/hour. Maybe even pull a few full weekend shifts when they want to take an escape, which I never had the opportunity to do. :P

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:32 PM

@cat1092

I love your added idea about a weekend shift! To think...a couple of naps and to bed early! I sure wouldn't mind revisiting the favorite pastime of reading books, I got such a kick out of so many colorful stories and great illustrations. Reading started when my son was a baby, I'd lay on the floor next to him and "read" a 3 x 3 fabric "red/white & black" book with only lines, dots and other patterns. Oh man did I share a good tale :lmao: Here's a tiny sampling (out of the volumes) of our favorites when he was +/- 3 y/o:

booksjob.jpg

What about you?

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:27 PM

Yes, would be fantastic to sleep & get paid at the same time, maybe watch a ballgame or two. 

No, I didn't get into the book reading, I married into a 'ready made' family, my wife's two children were 6 & 8 years old when we were living together, 8 & 10 by the time we married. :)

I did help with a lot of homework, which was much harder than when I was in school, up to the 7th grade I could manage, after that......was lost! :P

Yet was always there when needed, purchased a car for both when old enough to drive & paid for repairs through their university graduation. Oh, and for the oldest, half the cost of a wedding in 2001, plus a gift to get them started (Kenmore washer & dryer set), which still runs to this day. Unfortunately, the marriage lasted barely 6 years, just long enough for them to have one daughter & when she was less than a year old. 

So now, every other weekend, get to babysit the now going on 11 year old granddaughter while he's 'running errands'. Who's spoiled to the core, already on her second brand new iPhone, has been through three iPads & now on her first MacBook, not counting the Windows notebook I purchased for her in the 2nd grade that her mother stated 'was beneath her standard of living'. It was more costly than any I purchased for myself to this day & won't do that again. When she was very young, I got huge doses of her coming over & wanting to pull everything out of the kitchen cabinets & rearranging, screaming when she didn't get her way (not her fault) & now sometimes asks the question 'why did my parents break up?'. I tell her the truth, don't know, because there's a chance I don't. Their marital affairs were none of my business, so wasn't about to ask him (my stepson) either, his mother (my wife) once did & he flatly stated 'none of your business'. Maybe when she's grown & can understand, one or the other (or preferably both together) will tell her, she does deserve to know, even if told to keep it to herself. 

Sadly, long after the divorce is over, it's the children who pays the ultimate price of a broken family. :(  

While I have a very strong (99.5%) hunch about what led to the demise of the marriage, can't prove it was the reason (if at all), so it would be assuming on my part to say anything & don't want to be a cause of further friction.

Therefore, we keep on babysitting, of which now also includes maintaining Netflix/Hulu Plus subscriptions that I've not watched the first episode of anything on (only watch NFL on TV over the air during season) & as far as pay goes.......it's the same as in the mid 80's. :P

Sure hope that they don't expect us to 'chip in' on her first car at 16, which we know will be a Lexus, because that's way 'above my standard'. When I was that age, my dad purchased me a moped of his choosing and had to get a part time job to repay :lol:

All of this makes my mouth water at being able to do the same for $19.60/hour w/out their family issues to bear. :)

Cat

#11 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:57 PM

I would like to chime in and say that 25 an hour over here isnt much at all when we have some of the highest electricity in the worl and our petrol is around $1.60 cents a liter but remember, australia is massive compared to the UK etc so we have to travel long distances which chews up the fuel.

I had a mate just come back from the USA and couldnt believe how cheap everything was, he said its like going to Bali it was that cheap.

Put it this way, these are just some simple costs i have a year(Around $12 thousand dollars just for the basic right to live in a house).

1. Rates, 3K a year

2. Car rego for 2 cars is 2K. (4 Cyl deisel is 950, a V8 is around 1300 in QLD)

3. House insurance is 3 and a half thousand

4. Power is around 2,500 to 3500 a year (Remember this is AU dollars) @ 28 cents a kilo watt hour

5. Gas to power hot water etc, around 500 a year

6. You wanna dump something at the tip, that will be 40 bucks thanks.

7. A 24 pack of beer is $50 bucks!

8. Bottle of jack daniels 700ml is around $50.

I could go on but when you put it into perspective, 25 an hour is rell close to poverty wages here, ohhh i didnt even mention if you rent a house which starts at around 400 bucks a week in most cities, way more in sydney!

Silly me forgot tom mention, take at minimum 20% of your pay for PAYG tax, and then another 10% for anything you [purchase because it will have the GST tax on it, so our effective tax rate is 30%.

Also note that a single avocado costs $3.50, capsicum $8 dollars a kilo, any type of meat is more than $15 a kilo accept chicken, want a T-bone, that will be $25 a kilo please.

Want rib Eye fillet or porterhouse steak? Yep 20-30 a kilo for that lol.

Our food is insanley expensive, you only need to speak with the back packers and they live on 2 minute noodles and goon.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 10 January 2018 - 12:10 AM.

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:11 AM

And....for those who have no clue what 'goon' is......wine in a plastic bladder inside a cardboard box.

@ cat.....reading your post above...was like reading a summary of my own life. Ready made family (i started off with 5 and then added 2 of my own)....babysitting then resulting 'grandkids', numerous smart phones...better than i had myself...numerous ipads and so on and so on....add nauseum !........

.....so much so.....that I moved countries.

They are all old enough, big enough, and ugly enough to look after themselves and whoever comes as a result of them spreading their seed all over the place.

Finally....at this stage of my life I am experiencing true peace.

(my first car was a 1948 Hillman......a rollscanardly   (rolls down the hills ...can hardly get up them)

While I was still in Australia, I did actually learn the true meaning and what the actual impact of the word NO is.........and so did they.

(I am truly at peace........not so sure about them...)

The subject of this topic....@ $25/hour......they wouldnt work for that...it is beneath them apparently. They prefer to sit on the dole(gov't handout)

Agree with Johnny's rundown of expenses in Australia....however if a young guy or girl wants a couple of bob in their pocket at the end of the week.......tax free.......go for it !!!!...nothing to lose and everything to gain

Unlike the backpackers, who actually deserve a break........the species you and I are talking about, deserve none. A packet of 2 min noodles and a goonie bag is about all they deserve.

Edited by Condobloke, 10 January 2018 - 01:13 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:55 AM

The stories, so much for The Partridge Family model, right! You guys are brave to share your stories, there isn't enough space in this thread for mine!  :lmao: 

Here are a few cost guesstimates (USD) I threw together for my neck of the woods:

@24% Federal Income tax on $50K salary/year

@9% State Income tax on $50K salary/year

7.75% Sales Tax on goods (my city)

$0.89/liter gas ($3.29 USD/gallon)

$300/year house Insurance (tiny house)

$960/year gas and electric (No a/c tiny house)

$100/year car registration (very old car!!!)

$600/year car insurance (again very old car)

$36/24 bottles of Heineken

$30/1.75 Liter Jack Daniels

$20/pound rib eye prime

$7.50/hour average USA minimum wage (2015)

$4,500/month house rent/3 bed/2 bath Del Mar

$30/night average for campsite

$119/day at Disneyland

$400/night hotel room San Francisco 

$3,700K +/- One Super Bowl Ticket 2018 StubHub

Now, talking about those Ramen Noodles (.25/packet here) I'm hungry!  :guitar:

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:36 AM

Believe me...if i was to give a blow by blow account.....it would read like war and peace (tolstoy)....and then there would prob be enough for a sequel !!!

Enuff...off topic !

Approx  one year ago a bus driver delivering school kids to and from school was being paid around $23 per hour. That was the approved wage, for and hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon.

So, this was a casual rate....which includes a 25% loading.....therefore the base rate is around the $18.70 mark ...again, this is a wage that is set in place by the Fair Work Commission.

That wage is subject to tax only if the wage earner wishes it to be deducted.....possibly because they work a couple of jobs, and dont want a nasty surprise at the end of the tax year, having not allowed enough for tax.

The tax free threshold in Australia currently stands at $18200....and if you claim the low income rebate it increases to $20542.

So if some boofhead (either young or older or old) turns up their nose at the prospect of earning $62.50 (tax free) for the stated time.......then they have rocks in their head.

Two Minute Noodles (aka a packet of nothing...).....

chicken-reduced-1-400x400.jpgchicken, beef or oriental

Edited by Condobloke, 10 January 2018 - 04:05 AM.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:53 AM

So if some boofhead (either young or older or old) turns up their nose at the prospect of earning $62.50 (tax free) for the stated time.......then they have rocks in their head.

Yes, I think so also, provided one can tolerate children......some can't, so should stay home. :P

Most of us has shown willingness to accept the job, even at $19.40/hour, so must be up to the task! :)

On the other hand, some doesn't want to work period....... no matter how much one pays them, would rather stand on street corners with signs saying all kinds of things (often 'Disabled Vet' who has never served anything other than prison time) & having a dirty appearance. Followed by near 100% of the time will always say 'God Bless You' for every dollar collected, then once the day is over, will have collected much more cash than most of us earns. 

I believe the above to be the moral of the story, don't want to lift a finger for anything, other than a handout! :lol:

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users