Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive acting strangly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh

• Members
  • 246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:38 AM

Hello

I have 500gb hard drive that can be accessed normally. I used this drive for my MBP as backup drive, but it take for ever for the backup to finish. I tried different drive and worked just fine. So, how can I check if this is bad drive and if there is chance to fix it or just leave it.

Edited by fadi-sheikh, 05 January 2018 - 02:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 874 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:26 PM

you could look at the s.m.a.r.t. report and see if it reports any errors.

also you swapping out the drive with a different one and it works correctly should give you an indication that the original drive is probably bad.

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

If your PC is running slow or has issues with suddenly freezing, a very common cause, these days, is a failing hard disk drive and a dirty little secret is that hard disk drives are outrageously fragile when they are running. An overly simple explanation is that they are forty times more fragile than a raw egg and even the slightest bump can hurt them. The problem is so rampant that virtually all newer drives have a shock sensor who's purpose is to record excessive shocks so the manufacturer can tell you that your warranty has been voided.

Luckily, there is a relatively easy way to find out if this is what's going on. Go to http://www.hdtune.com/download.html and download hdtunepro_570_trial.exe which is free for 15 days. I'd suggest you save it before you install it; but, either way, you need to install it and run it.

Look first on the Health tab. The most important numbers are what is in the data (fourth) column for (05) Reallocated Sector Count and (C5)Current Pending Sector. If either one of them is not zero, plain and simple, the drive is failing. As long as it's there, you might want to look at (BF) G-sense Error Rate. The number in the data (fourth) column is how many times the drive has detected excessive shocks.

Even if (05) and (C5) are zero, I would strongly suggest for you to go to the Error Scan tab and run it by clicking Start. It may take hours if you have a one or two TeraByte drive; but, that is the surest test to verify the drive's operation. If even one red box appears, you found the reason why your PC is freezing.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 246 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:32 PM

I ran the Seatool in DOS and it wasn't able to fix the drive. Also 05 is showing in red that it's failing.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:29 AM

Then, plain and simple, you need to replace it.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users