Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mcafee Uninstallation

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 momoshmo

momoshmo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:40 PM

I can't uninstall the McAfee program and I've look online and tried so many ways. I went to the Add/Remove program and when I clicked the uninstall button, nothing came up. I've went to C:\ProgramFiles\McAfee.com\Agent\App, there was only one file, vso, so I deleted it. I also went to the McAfee technical support center to uninstall the SecurityCenter and the VirusScan, that's the only things I think I have of McAfee. I tried installing the VS Uninstaller tool but an error appears telling me something about mcclean.exe file. I don't know what version or other information I have of McAfee and I also don't have an installation disc. Are there any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:58 PM

The file you removed, is it in the recycle bin? If so, reinstall the file and try the uninstaller again.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 momoshmo

momoshmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:59 PM

I recycled it already.

#4 momoshmo

momoshmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:03 PM

Actually I've just checked it and I still have mccentr.adf. That was another thing I read to do was to delete that file. But I still have it.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:08 PM

http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq.asp?frames=1&...Id=245&chat

Have you attempted any of the instructions found in the above link for manual uninstall?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 momoshmo

momoshmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:29 PM

Yes, I tried the following things:
--Attempt an Automatic Uninstall
When I clicked the Add/Remove button, nothing loads.
--Download the registry cleanup file
An error appears during download telling me something about a mcclean.exe file that's mispelled and causing the download to discontinue.
--Remove the McAfee VirusScan Shortcuts
--Delete the McAfee VirusScan Files
I don't have a McAfee VirusScan or the VirusScan Wireless folder in C:\program files\mcafee.com
--Delete Misc. McAfee Files

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:38 PM

Sounds like you have deleted everything. Windows live OneCare has a free registry scanner that may just finish the uninstall for you. It takes some time to run it.
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

#8 momoshmo

momoshmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:48 PM

I tryed to install it but it tells me it cannot install the scanner. I am logged on to the administrative account and I do have 20 MB of free space.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:06 AM

When I ran the One Care scans, I had to allow a popup I believe for an ActiveX and agree to a EULA. If you did those two and have a legit, updated copy of Windows and used the IE6 browser, I don't have a clue why it didn't work for you. Are you having any other problems other than uninstalling Mcafee?

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:25 PM

Can you access Windows Updates and do you have SP2 installed? (Sp1 is no longer supported)

#11 momoshmo

momoshmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:54 PM

Other than uninstalling McAfee, I'm tring to install another virus protector but it cannot for some reason.

I have the icon of the windows updater on my toobar. When ever I clikc the download button it downloads but later on when new updates are to be downloaded, the previous files never seen to have downloaded. I have on file that indicates it was requested to be downloaded in April 2002.

#12 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:01 PM

How exactly is it stopping you from manually deleting it? Have you tried something like unlocker to overcome 'the prossess in use' thing from safemode

http://www.scanwith.com/Unlocker_download.htm

Edited by fleamailman, 28 September 2006 - 09:02 PM.

everyday is a gift

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:14 PM

click start/ right click on "My Computer"/ click on "properties"-----------this will tell you what version of windows you have. What does it say?

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:21 AM

Since your not sure what version you have, here are a few more links that may be of some help.

McAfee Internet Security Suite 6 Quick uninstall instructions.
How to uninstall McAfee Security Suite.
Before uninstalling SecurityCenter, you must uninstall VirusScan, Personal firewall, Privacy Service, and SpamKiller.

Uninstall of McAfee VirusScan 5.x, 6.x, and 7.x.
Determining what version of VirusScan you have on your computer
McAfee 4.5 FAQs.
If your not using these versions or still are having problems, then try the McAfee Help Forum > FAQs. They have Removal tools for recent Mcafee products (McAfee products clean up tool) that can be downloaded from the links provided to include MPSCleanupTool.exe.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users