Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading from vista to 7 failed- caught in loop. How do I restore vista?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tasteofclass98

tasteofclass98

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:21 AM

I have a dell inspiron running vista and tried to upgrade to windows 7. Everything was running fine with vista but when I tried to download the new turbo tax it told me I needed to upgrade my os.
I get e message saying that it failed and that it is rolling back but just keeps looping around again and restarting.
I have the original vista cd from when I bought the computer and tried to do a repair but it can't find the vista os to repair. Right now I only have windows 7 and windows setup rollback as options to repair.
I did make a back up but don't really want to wipe and do a clean install. Can someone please help me reinstall vista?

Edited by hamluis, 05 January 2018 - 06:38 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Vista - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tasteofclass98

tasteofclass98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:22 AM

It is showing no restore points also

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:31 AM

It appears you need turbo tax, and that it won't work with Vista, so why don't you keep moving forward and install windows 7.  

MAKE SURE TO BACK UP ALL YOUR FILES AND ACTIVATION KEYS.

If you have not done this you may need to take it to a shop now, as they will need to put the drive in a docking station to get all your important documents off safely.  Or, if you already backed up all your files and want to move forward with Windows 7 install follow this Tutorial to Clean Install Windows 7

This is assuming you have a known good Install Media of windows 7 and are able to get all the Drivers you need for that machine.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:47 PM

It appears you need turbo tax, and that it won't work with Vista, so why don't you keep moving forward and install windows 7 ..

Hi tasteofclass98:

Just further to pcpunk's comments, the minimum system requirements for TurboTax software <here> show that the CD/download version of TurboTax is no longer compatible with older platforms like Windows XP SP3 or Vista SP2 but the support article <here> notes that Win XP and Vista users can still use TurboTax Online through their web browser as long as they use Firefox ESR (extended support release) v52.x.

There is no free upgrade path from Vista SP2 to Win 7 SP1, so before you proceed with the upgrade please confirm that you have a valid Win 7 product activation key (e.g., either a spare key or a newly purchased key from a reliable source like amazon.com or newegg.com). If you didn't download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor while Vista SP2 was installed to ensure your current hardware, peripheral devices and installed software are compatible with Win 7 the minimum system requirements for Win 7 are also posted at https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/10737/windows-7-system-requirements and include:
    - a 1 GHz or faster processor
    - 1 GB (32-bit OS) or 2 GB (64-bit OS) of RAM,
    - 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit) available disk space
    - a DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

It would also be helpful if you provided some details about the model of your Dell Inspiron and whether you were trying to perform an in-place Upgrade install (i.e., that attempts to keep your settings and programs) or a Custom install (i.e., that installs clean copy of Windows 7 and wipes all previous settings and user accounts that is similar to the tutorial for the clean reinstall of Win 7 pcpunk referenced in post # 3) - see the PC Magazine article Best Way to Upgrade Vista to Windows 7 if you aren't sure.
--------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.3 * Norton Security Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Edited by lmacri, 06 January 2018 - 09:53 PM.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,758 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:17 AM

@lmacri, good work!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 tasteofclass98

tasteofclass98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:22 PM

Hi,so.i'm.trying.to.respnd.to.this.but.my.space.bar.won't.work.Anyone.have.a.fix.so.I.can.respond?Windows.10.pro.brand.new.dell.tower.using.edge.

#7 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:39 PM

Hi,so.i'm.trying.to.respnd.to.this.but.my.space.bar.won't.work.Anyone.have.a.fix.so.I.can.respond?Windows.10.pro.brand.new.dell.tower.using.edge.

Hi tasteofclass98:

Try using your IE11 browser instead of Edge to post your reply and see if the problem persists.  See the MS Answers document How to Find Internet Explorer (IE) on Windows 10 if you can't locate IE11.
--------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.3 * Norton Security Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1

#8 tasteofclass98

tasteofclass98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:16 PM

I switched to chrome and now can type- Thank you Imacri.  That still doesn't resolve the issue of not being able to use edge so if anyone else has a fix, that is appreciated.

So this is what happened.  I had an upgrade disk for windows 7. I did run the compatibility test and everything checked out.    I tried to do an upgrade that would save all of my files and just upgrade windows.  The upgrade failed and went into a continual loop of trying to revert back to vista.  It wouldn't go back to Vista and wouldn't upgrade to 7.  I could not restore to a prior date.  I could not reinstall or repair vista with my recovery disk as it said that I would have to format in order to make this change. I didn't want to risk losing any data on the hard drive that may or may not have backed up.  As it turns out it looks like windows wrote over everything on the c: drive because I attached it to my laptop and there was no files but windows on it.

I ended up going and buying a new dell with windows 10 pro and was finally able to get my back-up to work.  I had a simpletech back up drive that had no support available as the company has been sold twice and there was no way to get any  information about it.  The files were encrypted in an .nbz extension and so I couldn't just go in and see the files.  I thought everything was lost.  I finally figured out how to download the files and they are all now back on my new computer.  They did not reinstall like the old drive, so I have been working diligently at getting everything back and organized.  There are multiple copies of files and I'm seriously afraid to dump some of them for fear that some program that I re-load will quit working.  It used to be so easy to upgrade your computers.  There was a program that just carried everything over.  Now I am deathly afraid because every time I try, something happens and I lose data. (Hence just now trying to upgrade from Vista).  And the only reason I tried to do that was because I was trying to install the new turbo tax.  Anyway, I am back up and running.  Thanks for trying to help. Hopefully I'm good for another 5 years -lol!

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,758 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:06 PM

I wonder, did you use the Keyboard the new pc came with for the setup?  You should always do this, and not use your own on new setups.

I would hope a Windows Update will fix it for you, make sure to Reboot you pc, from time to time so that you will install these Updates.  New pc's always need quite a few Updates.  And, when the Major 1709 comes through, it may also solve your problem.  You may get some help here from someone that can guide you in Updating the Drivers for the Keyboard, that may fix it also.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 tasteofclass98

tasteofclass98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:48 PM

Hi, Yes I used the new keyboard.  Yes it has all been updated and re-started.  It's kind of odd because it only happens in the reply box.  It types fine everywhere else.

#11 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:49 PM

...I ended up going and buying a new dell with windows 10 pro and was finally able to get my back-up to work.  I had a simpletech back up drive that had no support available as the company has been sold twice and there was no way to get any  information about it.  The files were encrypted in an .nbz extension and so I couldn't just go in and see the files.  I thought everything was lost.  I finally figured out how to download the files and they are all now back on my new computer.  They did not reinstall like the old drive, so I have been working diligently at getting everything back and organized....

Hi tasteofclass98:

That sounds like a wise decision, and I hope you enjoy your new Win 10 computer.  More and more software manufacturers are dropping support for Vista SP2 since Microsoft stopped releasing security updates for this OS on 11-Apr-2017, and even though Mozilla will continue supporting the Firefox ESR v52 browser for XP SP3 and Vista SP2 until June 2018 it's not advisable to be using a Vista SP2 machine to connect to the internet, especially if you use your computer for financial transactions like online banking and shopping.

I've never tried to perform an in-place Upgrade install of Win 7 that attempts to keep all your Vista settings, installed programs and user data but I gather the upgrade failure you encountered is fairly common.  If you ever want to try to recover missing documents from your old computer the Microsoft support article Windows 7 upgrade fails and then results in a reboot loop with the message "The upgrade was not successful" has instructions on how to use the Windows 7 installation disc to access the Windows Recovery Environment and roll back to Vista - or at least allow you to retrieve your original files in C:\Users\<yourusername>\Documents and other personal folders.

PCWorld's Fix the Most Common Windows 7 Upgrade Problems includes a section title Endless Reboots that might also help.

It's important to back up your important user documents and personal files on a regular basis, but you might also want to occasionally create a full disk image for your new computer for disaster recovery.  These full disk images are similar to a Windows restore point but are more like one giant zipped file of your entire hard drive that you can save on external backup media (e.g., a "regular" removable 1 TB USB hard drive that is not bootable) and if your system is ever infected with malware or your Windows operating system is corrupted you can use one of those disk images to restore your entire hard drive (including your Windows OS, installed programs and personal files) back to a previous date.  You can use the built-in backup utility in Windows 10 to create backup images as well as an emergency Recovery Drive on a USB stick that you can use to boot your PC if Windows won't boot normally - see Lincoln Specter's PCWorld.com  article How to create an image backup in Windows 10 and restore it, if need be for instructions.  The Backup and Restore Center that came with my Vista SP2 Home Premium can't create these full disk images so I use Macrium Reflect Free.
--------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.3 * Norton Security Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1 * Macrium Reflect Free v7.1.2801

Edited by lmacri, 08 January 2018 - 04:17 PM.

#12 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:41 PM

...I ended up going and buying a new dell with windows 10 pro and was finally able to get my back-up to work.  I had a simpletech back up drive that had no support available as the company has been sold twice and there was no way to get any  information about it.  The files were encrypted in an .nbz extension and so I couldn't just go in and see the files.  I thought everything was lost.  I finally figured out how to download the files and they are all now back on my new computer....

Hi tasteofclass98:

I don't know if your still looking for help with your SimpleTech backup drive, but I found several threads posted in the MS Answers forum by users who are having problems getting their SimpleTech backup drive to work with Win 10 - see the MS Answers thread My SimpleTech 400 GB Simple Drive Doesn't Work with Windows 10 for one example.

There are two possible solutions in CCCBuilding's thread My SimpleTech External Drive is Not Seen on Windows 10!. Method 1 suggests using the built-in Win 10 hardware troubleshooter (which worked for the OP of that thread) and Method 2 suggests installing the latest available driver updates using the Win 10 Device Manager.

I usually recommend that users obtain device drivers for peripherals directly from the manufacturer's site instead of updating through the Win 10 Device Manager, but that might not be possible in your case.  I can't vouch for the reliability of DriveGuide.com but they have a SimpleTech Driver Update Utility from Hitachi (who acquired Fabrik in 2009) posted on their site at https://www.driverguide.com/driver/company/SimpleTech/USB/index.html that runs on all versions of Windows (XP to Win 10) and this utility might be able to find Win 10 compatible drivers for your backup drive.  The Hitachi GST site has instructions at How to Find Your Serial, Part, Model or Item Number for SimpleTech legacy products if you don't know your exact make / model #.

--------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.3 * Norton Security Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1 * Macrium Reflect Free v7.1.2801

Edited by lmacri, 08 January 2018 - 03:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users