Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse strange behavior - Help!!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:41 PM

System:  Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with latest 'important' updates

Laptop:  ASUS K52F

Wireless Mouse:      Logitech M310

Wireless Keyboard: Logitech K520

Using Logitech Unifying Receiver plugged into USB 2.0 port

For several weeks I have had strange behavior from my mouse.  Sometimes a single left click on a folder opens the folder as though I had double clicked.  When I try to move the folder from one place on the desktop to another location, the folder keeps opening as though I have double clicked.  Sometimes single clicking on the top bar of a window makes the window open full screen as though I have double clicked on the bar. Sometimes when I left click on an item on the desktop to move the item to another place on the desktop, the item does not move - nothing happens.  This is all intermittent - because sometimes the mouse works just fine.

(Note that I have checked & 'folder options' is set to open a window on double click.)

I have tried another M310 mouse and another Logitech Unifying Receiver.  Replacing the Logitech Unifying Receiver with another solved the problem for 2 weeks & I was happy.  But now the problem is back & I don't have a clue on how to fix this.

Since replacing mouse & receiver does not permanently solve the problem, could the issue be with the Windows 7 drivers?  I tried updating these drivers but Windows reported that there are no updates.

How can I fix this?  Uninstall the mouse drivers & reinstall them (how??)?  Something else?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:21 PM

Checking in the control panel for the mouse operation, there is an option for "double click speed".  This may be set to fast and the control is sensing a double instead of one.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:39 PM

Well you could get used to single click, I actually have been single clicking myself for a while on both windows and Linux.

But to turn it off:

https://www.technipages.com/enable-disable-single-clicking-feature

It might have been a windows update that changed the setting, who knows.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:20 PM

when a micro switch in your mouse button starts to go bad is will produce a double click with a single press and a double click will do a quad click.  try a different mouse see if problem corrects itself.

#5 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 258 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:19 AM

when a micro switch in your mouse button starts to go bad is will produce a double click with a single press and a double click will do a quad click.  try a different mouse see if problem corrects itself.

I guess you did not read all of my post. I DID try another mouse - problem is still here, an intermittant problem.

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:15 PM

i have a bunch of m510 & M310 that do this over time.  did you try a new mouse.

#7 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 258 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:29 PM

Yes I did try a spare mouse - same problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users