Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crash at splash creen, no keyboard input.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wolram42

Wolram42

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:06 PM

I've seen a few threads with this issue but none of the solutions have solved my problem.

SPEC (Read off the hardware)
Motherboard: GA-880GM-USB3 (not sure of the revision) (Dual BIOS)
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD6770

CPU: AMD Quadcore, (Not sure of model number)
Power Supply: NRP-VC503 Switching Power Supply,
   Model no. SL-8500BTX
   550W
RAM = 4x 4GB DDR3
1x HDD
1x Optical disk drive
1x USB mouse
1x USB Keyboard
1x PS/2 Keyboard

Windows 7

No printers or scanners

PROBLEM

When I turn on the PC, fans all work, I get 1 beep (System normal), The monitor works fine. The USB keyboard and mouse do not respond. The PS/2 keyboard flashes on, and then does not respond. The Splash screen appears, and the machine fails to boot.

BEFORE PROBLEM

This is a 5(ish) year old machine, I have not installed any new devices within the last month. The only new software installed is a steam game, which has worked fine the last few days. The machine shutdown without any problems on Tuesday night, the problem began when I tried to start on Wednesday. I haven't been able to think of anything that would have changed in that time to cause the problem.

TRIED SO FAR

Tried changing USB devices to all other USB ports one by one.
 One beep each time, crash at splash screen

Removed all USB devices.
 One beep, crash at splash screen

Disconnected all other devices (Headphones, PS/2 keyboard)

One beep, crash at splash screen

Removed each RAM stick one by one, and tried to boot each time.
 One beep each time, crash at splash screen

Tried each RAM stick on it's own, and tried to boot each time.
 One beep each time. Crash at splash screen

Tried running without any RAM
 No beep, no monitor. (Was expecting a long beep?)

Disconnected external fan.
 One beep. Crash at splash screen

Disconnected front USB ports from motherboard.

Disconnected the HDD and tried to boot.

Disconnected the ODD and tried to boot.

Disconnected the graphics card, plugged monitor into the motherboard and tried to boot.
  One beep. Crash at splash screen (Monitor still worked)

All of the above disconnected, (So just CPU fan, on board graphics, audio port which I can't get off the motherboard, and monitor.)

Cleared CMOS (no jumper) Just used a paper clip to touch the 2 pins.

Removed the CMOS battery, left for 20mins and replaced.

Disconnected CPU fan. (Turned off the machine as soon as I determined it hadn't worked! (about 15 seconds))

I HAVE NOT YET TRIED
Disconnecting the audio port,
 I just cant get it off the motherboard.

Reseating the CPU, I don't have any thermal paste at the moment, not sure how likely this is to be the problem. I'll be able to do this at the weekend. But would rather try other options first if there are any.

Disconecting the wireless adapter, again I can't get it off the motherboard because of the screw locations, I'll need to get some shorter screw drivers.

OTHER NOTES

The On-board LED does not light up, I've not noticed whether or not it did in the past..

Really appreciate any help or further ideas!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:09 PM

I would try a different PSU.  Swapping PSU out only takes a few minutes.  Any PSU should be able to serve the purpose.

Louis

#3 Wolram42

Wolram42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:11 AM

I've just replaced the PCU with a similar 550w.
Still the same issue, one beep, crashes at splash screen. I checked both keyboards and mouse, all still unresponsive.

#4 Wolram42

Wolram42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:00 AM

When I took out the PSU, I noticed I could access the wireless PCI adapter. Removed this and tried to start up, and it seems to have done the trick. Successfully booted in safemode.

#5 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:08 AM

Hello Wolram42,

Good troubleshooting already done and very good info provided, apart from the fact that you even having this trouble what is not good is the fact that you get no beeps when all of the RAM is removed, what would normally happen if things were ok up to the point that the RAM was tested as part of the power on self test is that removing the would result in multiple beeps, this would mean that the problem was after the RAM and with the video device/s being tested next that would normally be the culprit, because you get no beeps with the RAM removed it may suggest that the problem is before the RAM is tested, power supply and the MB in that order are the two candidates, check the MB for any bad caps, see info here to help with checking.

Question, looked at both revisions of the MB but do not see an onboard speaker, have you ever added one like the example in my attachment below.

Edit to add: Missed your above reply, good catch  :thumbup2:

Would still like to know if there is an onboard speaker.

Attached Files

Edited by PhillPower2, 06 January 2018 - 11:11 AM.

#6 Wolram42

Wolram42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:58 PM

There is an onboard speaker, I've never added it. But the PC was built by a company years ago, maybe they added it themselves.

The no beep when running it without ram is a bit concerning... That said, its up and working now.

#7 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:40 AM

The no beep when running it without ram is a bit concerning... That said, its up and working now. 

When I took out the PSU, I noticed I could access the wireless PCI adapter. Removed this and tried to start up, and it seems to have done the trick.

By the by now but I suspect that if you tried the same test by removing all of the RAM now that the wireless card has also been removed you would get your normal error beeps, normal POST tests PSU, MB, RAM, GPU, CPU etc, your wireless card being in a PCI slot which is tested when the MB is was the reason why you got no error beeps when you removed the RAM.

Anyways, once again glad you got it sorted  :thumbup2:

NB: Nice to see that there are still people out there willing to forego the small cost of fitting an onboard speaker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users