Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

turn off cortana

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 boilermaker27

boilermaker27

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:59 PM

Recently Windows 10 was asking me to click and receive all the new features, I didn't click, there was nothing to say "no thanks", and, to make things worse it did so automatically.  I hate Cortana and I was able to delete it, but when I deleted Cortana the search bar was also deleted.  Before this horrible update I was able to delete Cortana and keep the search bar.  Am I doing something wrong, or, is there a way to do away with Cortana and keep the search bar? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:24 PM

I am not at all certain what you mean by "delete Cortana."

The Cortana process is, quite literally, the replacement for Windows Search under Windows 10 and if you take exceptional measures to delete it then you will have a number of "unusual results."

You also cannot perpetually reject updates to Windows 10, and that is true no matter what edition of Windows 10 (Home, Pro, S, Education, Enterprise) is being used.  From Pro on up you can delay them for increasingly long periods but eventually they will be applied.  We're now over 2 years into Windows as a Service and that update philosophy is not going away.

I have said the following on another thread but what you can do as far as turning Cortana features off or on is directly dependent on the Version and Build number of Windows 10 a machine is running.   Earlier versions gave you greater control and if you turned off the Personal Digital Assistant features ("Get to Know Me" was off) and turned "Include Web Results" off what you essentially created was the old Windows Search.   If one did this those choices have stayed through ever major feature update so far.

The above being said, if you waited too long or did "interesting workarounds" to try to neuter Cortana rather than using the built-in options, a number of those options have disappeared (e.g., "Include Web Results"). 

Winaero Tweaker from winaero.com still contains these controls, and a number of others, to allow you to manage the behavior of Cortana and to neuter her back to basic Windows Search in its  Desktop and Taskbar control section.  You can still choose to show either the search box or the search icon in its place in the native Windows 10 taskbar settings.  I've used only the icon for ages, and trigger Cortana/Windows Search far more often by simply hitting the Windows Key and immediately beginning to type my search terms than by point-and-click on the icon.  When it comes to searching strictly on file name, which I do far more often than any other type of search, I have long preferred the Everything Search from voidtools.com.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:56 PM

copy code into a command file, and run as administrator.  This will disable Cortana, but keep search.

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "AllowCortana" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "AllowCortanaAboveLock" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "DisableWebSearch" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "AllowSearchToUseLocation" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "ConnectedSearchPrivacy" /t REG_DWORD /d "3" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "ConnectedSearchSafeSearch" /t REG_DWORD /d "3" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "ConnectedSearchUseWeb" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "ConnectedSearchUseWebOverMeteredConnections" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules" /v "Block Cortana ActionUriServer.exe" /t REG_SZ /d "v2.26|Action=Block|Active=TRUE|Dir=Out|RA42=IntErnet|RA62=IntErnet|App=C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\ActionUriServer.exe|Name=Block Cortana ActionUriServer.exe|Desc=Block Cortana Outbound UDP/TCP Traffic|" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules" /v "Block Cortana PlacesServer.exe" /t REG_SZ /d "v2.26|Action=Block|Active=TRUE|Dir=Out|RA42=IntErnet|RA62=IntErnet|App=C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\PlacesServer.exe|Name=Block Cortana PlacesServer.exe|Desc=Block Cortana Outbound UDP/TCP Traffic|" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules" /v "Block Cortana RemindersServer.exe" /t REG_SZ /d "v2.26|Action=Block|Active=TRUE|Dir=Out|RA42=IntErnet|RA62=IntErnet|App=C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\RemindersServer.exe|Name=Block Cortana RemindersServer.exe|Desc=Block Cortana Outbound UDP/TCP Traffic|" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules" /v "Block Cortana RemindersShareTargetApp.exe" /t REG_SZ /d "v2.26|Action=Block|Active=TRUE|Dir=Out|RA42=IntErnet|RA62=IntErnet|App=C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\RemindersShareTargetApp.exe|Name=Block Cortana RemindersShareTargetApp.exe|Desc=Block Cortana Outbound UDP/TCP Traffic|" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules" /v "Block Cortana SearchUI.exe" /t REG_SZ /d "v2.26|Action=Block|Active=TRUE|Dir=Out|RA42=IntErnet|RA62=IntErnet|App=C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe|Name=Block Cortana SearchUI.exe|Desc=Block Cortana Outbound UDP/TCP Traffic|" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules" /v "Block Cortana Package" /t REG_SZ /d "v2.26|Action=Block|Active=TRUE|Dir=Out|RA42=IntErnet|RA62=IntErnet|Name=Block Cortana Package|Desc=Block Cortana Outbound UDP/TCP Traffic|AppPkgId=S-1-15-2-1861897761-1695161497-2927542615-642690995-327840285-2659745135-2630312742|Platform=2:6:2|Platform2=GTEQ|" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "SearchboxTaskbarMode" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:30 PM

dhagerjohns,

Is that batch script the result of intensive research on your part or did you happen to come upon it somewhere?   I have been trying to find the specific registry keys that various Cortana related settings actually created or tweaked with very limited success.

Also, and this is hair splitting, but depending on how you define "Cortana" the above doesn't disable her/it entirely.  People need to realize that Windows Search under Windows 10 is handled by the Cortana process, which still remains running.  The above disables the Personal Digital Assistant features and the inclusion of web results when the Cortana process does searches, essentially re-creating Windows Search.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:43 PM

dhagerjohns,

Is that batch script the result of intensive research on your part or did you happen to come upon it somewhere?   I have been trying to find the specific registry keys that various Cortana related settings actually created or tweaked with very limited success.

Also, and this is hair splitting, but depending on how you define "Cortana" the above doesn't disable her/it entirely.  People need to realize that Windows Search under Windows 10 is handled by the Cortana process, which still remains running.  The above disables the Personal Digital Assistant features and the inclusion of web results when the Cortana process does searches, essentially re-creating Windows Search.

Yea I know all about search and Cortana.  I actually like Cortana a lot.  But, one of my hobbies is stripping down Windows IPs to an LTSB look-alike.  Many scripts I have written myself, but this is not one of them.  I do know that it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users