Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to cope with a very small C: drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 alisp

alisp

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:59 PM

I am the not-so-proud owner of an Asus T200TA - one of those neat little computers which splits into a(n admittedly rather large) tablet and a keyboard as a docking station - running Windows 8.1, for use for my work when on the move.  It came with an SSD drive - everyone was singing their praises, so I thought it was probably a good idea - but what I didn't realise from the specs in the computer store was that the effective amount of free space on it is less than 20 GB.  It fills up very quickly - I currently have only about 1 GB free, although I've tried to put as many programs as I could onto the D: drive to save space, even though I know that's not a very good idea - and I can't even fit a copy of Word onto it.

With a computer with a normal drive, I guess I could simply have adjusted the partitions to give myself more space on the C: drive at the expense of D:, but of course this won't work in this case (the C: drive seems to be located in the tablet portion, and the D: drive in the keyboard portion).  Pretty much all I've added to the C: drive in addition to the existing programs and apps is Adobe Reader (I'm afraid the Reader app is inadequate) and AVG Antivirus - and in fact Control Panel lists the total of installed files as 850 MB, which seems very odd.  I know that clutter builds up, but I'm bemused as to why there is so little spare room available.  I do have System Restore on for C:, but when I looked the other day there was only the one restore point still there.

I'd welcome any thoughts - provided they don't involve upgrading to Windows 10, but that's another story ...

Edited by alisp, 04 January 2018 - 02:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:10 PM

I doubt you could upgrade to Windows 10 on that computer. You need 20GB of space alone for the OS.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

Download WinDirStat to see what programs and how much space is being used. Turn off Hibernation if you use it and disable Fast Startup. Dial back the space used for System Restore. You can use DiskCleanup to reduce the size of the WinSxS folder.

With that size SSD you are sort of locked in to your current OS.

Edit: Uninstall Adobe Reader and install PDFXchange Viewer. Even though it has been discontinued it is still a good small PDF viewer.

https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 January 2018 - 02:12 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:26 PM

Basic Info, per http://laptoping.com/laptop-pc-storage-explained-hdd-ssd-hybrid-emmc.html:

Embedded Multimedia Card (eMMC) Storage

Embedded Multimedia Card or eMMC is a more affordable and slower Flash-based storage than solid state drives. eMMC is usually found in smartphones and other consumer electronics devices, but it’s used in personal computers, too. In everyday use, performance of eMMC storage is somewhere between speed of HDDs and SSDs. In the PC segment, you can find eMMC soldered onto motherboards of some budget-class notebooks, tablet PCs, and 2-in-1 computers.

eMMC capacity provided by these PCs is either 32GB or 64GB. These are quite limited capacities by today’s standards. To make things easier, most of the eMMC-equipped laptops have a memory card slot in which you can insert a memory card (SD or microSD) to expand internal storage capacity. In addition, computer makers often bundle eMMC-based computers with free access to storage on a remote server, popularly known as cloud storage.

As same as SSDs, eMMCs are power-efficient and completely quiet.

Louis

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:03 PM

I have been using Foxit Reader/Distiller for years and love it. I even removed Adobe Reader off my computer at work and installed Foxit. It loads instantly, does not slow the system, has a smaller file size (51mb download), and you can create your own .pdf files with it. You can turn off cloud services if you don't want them, etc. It will put a updater check that loads on boot, but you can disable that to save additional load on your system if you want.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:17 PM

Google can be your friend!!  https://www.google.com/search?q=Asus+T200TA+hard+drive+upgrade&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:10 PM

Easiest way is to buy Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD and use Samsung Migration software to clone your current drive!

Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:53 PM

I did a little reading, even though a 3-1/2 will fit the bay they are too thick.  You have to use a 2-1/2, even using a 2-1/2 you have great options.

Phil

#8 alisp

alisp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:36 PM

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions!  I'll have a look at some of them in a while, but one of the reviews OldPhil links to actually says that you can increase the capacity by inserting a 32 GB microSD card.  Not having owned a tablet before, I hadn't realised this could be a possibility, but I've nipped into Sainsbury's and bought a SanDisk 32 GB HD microSD with 1/3 off in the January sale!  I presume the fact that it's HD won't be a problem. Hoping that will solve the basic issue, and I can then deal with "low-calorie" versions of programs after that.

Edited by alisp, 05 January 2018 - 01:39 PM.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:15 PM

There is a YouTube movie explaining how to change the HD, I read one of the articles where the fellow installed a 128gb SSD drive.

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users