Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reallocated event count (new HDD)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zico268

zico268

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:30 AM

Hi everyone.

Just a quick question. I bought a brand new Hitachi HDD 3TB and the first thing I did after plugging it in is check the SMART monitor on HD Tune Pro and I'm seeing this Reallocated event count warning. What does it mean and is this a ground to have it replaced? (I'm running the Error scan in HD Tune atm).

Thanks!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:44 AM

Reallocated Event Count.

https://kb.acronis.com/content/9132

What I don't quite understand is why you have an event count of one but the Reallocated Sector attribute shows zero sectors reallocated. In any event one event count is nothing to worry about but keep an eye on it. Keep an eye on Reallocated Sectors and Current Pending Sectors. Current Pending Sectors are sectors marked bad but cannot be read are are waiting to be reallocated once they can be read. If that number increases that is something to worry about. I'm not sure about that temperature reading though.

I would run GSmartControl on the drive and look at the attributes including temperature. Anything over 47 is something to worry about.

https://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io/home/index.php/Screenshots

#3 zico268

zico268
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:56 PM

For the past 2,5h I've been running error scan on HD Tune (half way there) and the temp right now is 59C (btw the disk is in an external usb case right now without any cooling).

Below are some snaps from GSmartControl.

Attached Files

• Attached File  2.png   38.93KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  5.png   78.29KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  4.png   17.16KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  3.png   57.36KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  1.png   26.09KB   0 downloads

Edited by zico268, 04 January 2018 - 12:58 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:01 PM

I may have misspoken on hard drive temps. According to Seagate the newer drives have a max temp 60 Celsius. If you are consistently running at 58 I would look at returning the drive. Temps at the high end like this will greatly reduce it's live expectancy.

According to Hitachi the drive has a max operating temperature of 60 Celsius.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 January 2018 - 03:06 PM.

#5 zico268

zico268
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:13 PM

ok, thanks for the info! I will complete the error scan and will play with the disk for the next day, will try to write as much as i can onto it and will monitor temp and SMART. I'll see if anything changes. Thanks!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:55 PM

FWIW:  I think that GSmar. just doesn't get the temperature data correctly.

Earlier today, I installed it on my XP install (proper version) and looked at the attributes.  All was golden...and I verified this by checking my data per Hard Disk Sentinel and Speccy.  I have 2 hard drives and 1 SSD connected.

Ten minutes ago, I check the data re temperature reflected by GSmart and the attributes now had the temp attribute in pink...while HDS and Speccy both reflect all 3 drives as perfect.

It's an error that I would expect, since other tools may have difficulties in properly reflecting temperature data, IMO.

Louis

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:02 PM

Beside verifying the temps of Gsmartcontrol with Speccy see what HWmonitor shows regarding your HDD temps. 

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users