Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remapping Hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mr_pickls69

mr_pickls69

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:33 AM

Hello, I was having trouble with my hard drive, it was going very slow. I ran hirens boot cd to go into mini xp, blue screen came up when trying to load mini xp.  found out it was a ntfs problem with hard drive. im running ubcd for scanning and remapping hard drive.  Can i use this hard drive again to put windows back on? or should i just get a new hard drive? 

thankyou for all responses

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:46 AM

What are you using to "remap" the HDD? On UBCD I would select Parted Magic at the Menu Screen. At the desktop select Disk Health and run the short test first. If it passes run the long test. I assume you have recovered your data off the drive first before doing any scanning.

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:19 PM

You should get a new hard drive; it is not possible to repair modern drives.

Do you need to recover any files off of the old one?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 mr_pickls69

mr_pickls69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:29 PM

thankyou for replying to my message, sorry i havent replied earlier, very busy at work. today, started parted magic and did the short test, and it passed. now im doing the extended test.  I did get what i needed off that hard drive, and i ran a virus scan on that hard drive, which came back with alot of malware. I deleted all the malware.   if the extended test comes back clean, could i reinstall windows on that? 

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:42 PM

Yes; but, to be completely safe, choose the advanced options and delete all of the partitions on the drive and then click Next.  That way, you won't inadvertently have malware survive the reinstall.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users