Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Disk Storage Space

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dphenry157

• Members
  • 211 posts
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

My desk PC is very close to being maxxed on available HD disk space.  What files am I best to clean out, and where do I clean w=them out to?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

• Members
  • 3,933 posts
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:25 AM

For starters have you used the built in system tools tools?  In accessories find system tools then disk cleanup, you may be surprised how much junk has accumulated.  You can also remove some unused programs, removing programs needs some thought on many it is better ask before you hit the button.  Save photos and other important data to CD's or flash drives.  A couple of well spent hours will produce decent results.

Edited by OldPhil, 04 January 2018 - 09:26 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,161 posts
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

As suggested, use the Disk Cleanup tool.

To open Disk Cleanup press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open the Run box.

Copy and paste cleanmgr in the Run box, then click/tap OK.

When you open the Disk Cleanup tool you will need to select the drive you wan to run this on, this should be the dive which has Windows 10 installed on it.  When you have the correct drive chosen click/tap on OK.

The page that opens will be similar to the image below.  In the list of options you will see Temporary files, place a check in this box.

Attached File  disk cleanup.PNG   21.7KB   0 downloads

Click/tap on OK

You should defrag your hdd to fee up more space.

You can always transfer files to removable media and remove the original files from the C: drive (this usually is the drive letter given to the partition that Windows is installed in.)

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,463 posts
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

Make sure that you back up all of your personal data on an external storage device. The mantra is

back up

back up

back up

You can not have too many copies of your personal data. I myself have 5 back ups, but I recommend the minimum of 2 complete back ups of all of your data.

#5 FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,135 posts
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:02 PM

You can use WinDirStat  view which files taking lot more storage space and delete any files you don't need.

Use CCleaner to delete temporary files.

The Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool can be use to analyze the size of the component store and reduce the size of the component store (WinSxS folder). The WinSxS folder is located in the Windows folder, for example C:\Windows\WinSxS. It’s the location for Windows Component Store files. The Windows Component Store is used to support the functions needed for the customization and updating of Windows.  Component store (WinSxS folder) contains all the components that make-up Windows to allow you operate your system. These components are kept to rollback any problematic change or to repair a file that becomes corrupted.

Reduce the size of the component store by typing following command:

Dism  /Online  /Cleanup-Image  /StartComponentCleanup

You can reduce the size of the component store further by adding the /ResetBase parameter.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

The installed Windows Updates cannot be uninstalled after the '/StartComponentCleanup' with '/ResetBase' operation is completed.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users