Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What options are there for a Tech doing Data Recovery?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:05 AM

Hey guys, so many people come to me with failed HDD's and aside from trying softwares and linux which does not work most of the times, is there any other option to prevent them from having to go to a lab which most of them cannot afford?

I am guessing the only option would be to get the same machinery  as the labs but is that possible? If yes, what exactly will be needed please?

Edited by hamluis, 04 January 2018 - 12:07 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:17 AM

For failing drives about the only thing you can do at that point, without using a professional service, is to clone the drive to a image using ddrescue. This program will attempt to read a bad sector 3 times before proceeding to the next sector. You can then attempt to mount the image with OSFmount or to scan the image with Testdisk/PhotoRec. See the below guide by BC member James Litten.

https://html5.litten.com/make-full-image-of-broken-raw-infected-or-encrypted-hard-drive-with-free-tools/

Other than that a failing drive requires one to seek professional help if it can not be read by regular means.

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:48 AM

That's a nice link thanks. Thing is, that will work for "failing" drives but for drives which doesn't power on, my research shows the labs are the only option

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:42 AM

Correct, a dead drive needs a lab for data recovery.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:31 PM

I have not done this in a few years but, it is possible to swap the board if that is the failing part.  I have done this on three different WD drives.  I bought used same size and series to get the boards, I have given up on this kind of stuff due to massive junk complaints by my other half!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users