Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spilled water on my desktop tower (a week ago)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 marysandrane

marysandrane

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:31 PM

I have a 2011 Acer windows 7 home desktop with monitor (ASPIRE X3990). The monitor sits up on a desk and the desktop on the floor. There was a cup of water right beside the edge of the table that was beside the desktop (yah i know stupid but I've had it there before, its like this is some karma). i bumped it somehow, it spilt right through the top vent and around (probably 1/4 of the 3/4 of the water went to the computer, this is including the water that went in and some drops on external sockets, but that doesnt matter0. it had to be within a minute that between the spilling and me screaming 'NO!' multiple times that it shut down by itself. I unplugged everything the minute it powered itself down and turned it upside down/sideways and made my fan face it for about two hours. Called acer support and talked to two people, both say wait a day, one says to put it in direct sunlight for the whole day so it would dry and it should work again and one says to make sure its dry and bring it to a technician. Everyone on the internet has agreed that taking components within the computer and placing them in rice is the best option but I don't even know if it opens up, and i don't know how to take apart the components, i will probably mess something up. Im a teenager so I dont really know how to open up the tower, nor does it look easy on this model because doesn't seem like there are even screws.
UPDATE: its been 6 days and its been on its side the whole time (motherboard back facing the sky, inside fan facing the ground if that makes sense, trying to get whatever water out of it). I felt the vent today and i still feel like its wet.

Advice and what are my chances? smile.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:35 PM

Do you have a hair dryer?

Is there any way to open the case up and blow dry it out?

I would open it up and have someone you know take the parts out.

Its a good chance it might be okay, but dont power it on and leave it dry for another week or so and use your hair dryer when possible.

Keep it on low and not on max heat.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 marysandrane

marysandrane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:07 PM

Do you have a hair dryer?

Is there any way to open the case up and blow dry it out?

I would open it up and have someone you know take the parts out.

Its a good chance it might be okay, but dont power it on and leave it dry for another week or so and use your hair dryer when possible.

Keep it on low and not on max heat.

I gave it over to a local repair who is saying their machine detected (so they haven't even turned/powered it on) damage within the PSU, but im calling bull tbh. :/ No way the water dripped down THAT far...like yes it powered itself down before i could officially pull the main power plug but probably because it detected water in the system...

I really want to ask for it back and try turning it on myself to see if they're bull-s-ing me, but my mom hasn't even said a word about this, so it isn't even my decision if were going to pay the replacement cost (anywhere between 92-120$) or just ask for it back for now.

#4 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:13 PM

As a parent, if moms calling the shots here then let her deal with it. If it had been mine I would have opened it up and dry it. You are passed that...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:14 PM

I dunno water can travel far, even if the PSU is at the bottom of the case in theory water can get there.

If they charge you I would remember their price range.

Its a simple operation to replace a PSU but you do have to consider the cost of the PSU.

I would see what power supply they will replace it with to see its actual value.

If its say a $60 PSU I would take the cost as worthy if you have no tech skills.

If they replace it with a cheapo PSU and charge you $120 then something is not legit.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 marysandrane

marysandrane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:52 PM

I dunno water can travel far, even if the PSU is at the bottom of the case in theory water can get there.

If they charge you I would remember their price range.

Its a simple operation to replace a PSU but you do have to consider the cost of the PSU.

I would see what power supply they will replace it with to see its actual value.

If its say a $60 PSU I would take the cost as worthy if you have no tech skills.

If they replace it with a cheapo PSU and charge you $120 then something is not legit.

they did say if i'm not satisfied, they're is a 30-day warantee with my 'new' PSU.

what do you think?

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:57 PM

Yeah go for it.

Seems fair enough.

Is this a normal computer repair shop or a best buy?

If best buy ho boy geek squad is useless so they will send it back to the manufacturer

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#8 marysandrane

marysandrane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:56 PM

Yeah go for it.

Seems fair enough.

Is this a normal computer repair shop or a best buy?

If best buy ho boy geek squad is useless so they will send it back to the manufacturer

some local one repair

I will try and convince my mom, but i dont think its happening, atleast not now.

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:09 PM

Well here is some advice I can give you:

If repair costs are a factor do consider the cost of a new computer as well.

Now what I would do is tell your mother that if the repair price is around $90 to $100 then lock it down and dont take no for an answer.

I would make a inquiry into the repair place ask them directly the cost of the PSU

Again a good decent PSU in the market is around $60-100 or more so do consider the cost factor.

And well adding another $20 to $50 to the price tag seems fair and within reason as they need to make money too.

If worried about a con job do not be afraid to take pictures of the inside and share your photos with us.

We are not here to sell you anything so we have no financial motivations, most of us do this on our own accord.

If really in doubt direct your mom here and we can discuss the pros and cons of repairing your machine or replacing it entirely.

We can give you numbers to play around with as well just in case you really do need to dump money into a machine as a repair is not guaranteed to work.

In either case repairing the machine at the cost factor you listed seems reasonable and its unlikely you will get anything cheaper, I just hope they are on the level as you never know.

I know i myself try to be as honest as possible but then again i am not behind a counter selling you wares.

Edited by MadmanRB, 03 January 2018 - 11:12 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:00 AM

If the computer is damaged, the damage is done by now.  Since it shut down after the spill, if something shorted out then it is damaged and attempting to power up will not further damage it. It simply will not power up. I assume that it has been at least 24 hours since the spill and you had a fan blowing in (did you remove the side cover for maximum circulation? If not, do that and put a window fan blowing in for 4 hours at least) so it should be dry by now. If the power supply shorted out, then it is already dead so you can't harm it further.

Try to power up and see what happens. Either it will get power or it will not.

If it gets electrical power, you can see the POST screen (that is the black screen that shows briefly before Windows loads), but you can't boot into Windows, that is good....probably it just corrupted Windows which can be fixed. If the computer remains dead and unresponsive when you press the power button, then testing will have to be done; most likely the power supply shorted out and may have to be replaced, but actually that is no big deal.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:03 AM

Well they noted its at a repair shop, guessing by the price margin the only thing to be done is probably changing the power supply.

More than likely they tested the motherboard already with a cost that low

$90-$120 sounds right for a PSU relacement

Edited by MadmanRB, 04 January 2018 - 10:04 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#12 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:01 AM

Well I can tell you that working on computers that got wet is not fun, had my fair share of that last year. http://www.theadvocate.com/louisiana_flood_2016/article_3b7578fc-77b0-11e7-9aab-f7c07d05efcb.html

But there is hope, out of about 20 pc's that got wet, 10 of them are still running right now, fixed with no parts, just a $10 blow dryer. Got their 3 servers running too, but the main server had to be replaced about 2 months after the flood. (giving weird problems)

Open the case and blow dry everything, I did unplug cables that were towards the bottom of the case to make sure the cable sockets were dried fully. (only got about 2 inches of water in them) After about 10 minutes of blow drying per pc I tried powering on. These PC's did sit in a garage for 3 days before I did this so take that into account too. Best of luck to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users