Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up my first Windows 10 computer - Need help please.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BuddysDaD

BuddysDaD

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:18 PM

Set up this computer and am able to sign into my account however when I set up a user accounhave to have their own Microsoft accountt for my wife and try to sign in to her user I am told that I can't sign in. It tells me to go to account.live.com/password/reset to fix the problem. Does each user need their own Microsoft or do I need only one account per computer? What am I doing wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:33 PM

Just one account per computer if you want it, otherwise you can set it up without any Microsoft accounts.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,537 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:40 PM

If you wish to have a Microsoft-Account-linked Win10 User Account then a Microsoft Account must exist to which to link it.  The userid is generally the e-mail address you're using and if the corresponding Microsoft Account does not exist you should be prompted to create one.   If it does exist then the linked Win10 user account will be created and the password should be the same as the Microsoft Account to which it links.

You also have the option of setting up a local account, too.

If you activate the option for adding a family member, this is the first dialog you encounter:

familymemberacct01.jpg

whereas if you activate the option for someone else this is the first dialog you encounter:

otherpeopleacctscrn1.jpg 

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

BriTechGuy, I have never used Windows 10; can a computer have both one Microsoft Account and a separate User Account which does not depend upon the Microsoft Account to login into W10 with admin rights (in order to troubleshoot)?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 AnythingButMalware

AnythingButMalware

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

BriTechGuy, I have never used Windows 10; can a computer have both one Microsoft Account and a separate User Account which does not depend upon the Microsoft Account to login into W10 with admin rights (in order to troubleshoot)?

Absolutely. Windows 10 can be configured with one or more accounts using either a Microsoft account, or by using an offline account.

Have you tried turning it off and back on? :P

#6 AnythingButMalware

AnythingButMalware

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

How to Set Up and Configure User Accounts on Windows 10 is a great guide by How-To Geek that should help you through the process.

Have you tried turning it off and back on? :P

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,537 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

AnythingButMalware beat me to the punch and gave really good reference material, to boot!  Thanks.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users