Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 suddenly crashes (no blue screen)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lezalit

Lezalit

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

My PC crashes abruptly and unexpectedly (there is no blue screen, the screen just goes black). This occurs more and more often and makes the PC difficult to use.

It usually happens when the hard disk works intensely, e.g. a full scan by Microsoft Security Essentials (which is never completed).
It is often related to high fan activity so perhaps overheating is a problem. However, it has also happened when fan is running slowly.
It is sometimes related to stress on the video card: entering new scenes in games has caused shut downs.

The computer is a custom built PC from December 2012
Windows 7 Professional, SP1, 64-bit (Norwegian language version)
Processor: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core, 3.51 GHz
RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5

Speccy results published:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/DeWOkD0Qbu8ppVLdwdqWtCd

I have run SysnativeBSODCollectionApp.exe, results are attached (had to kill the process as it took more than 5 minutes with “Waiting for SystemInfo”).

I will be happy to provide any other info.

Would be very grateful for any assistance!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

Are the fans and lights still on when the system "crashes?" Or does the system completely lose power?

You will need to run a couple of hardware diagnostics www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html Be sure to run all the tests on that page.

In addition, I would suggest you test your power supply https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/4061-test-power-supply-unit-psu.html

You may wish to try this hardware stripdown procedure too www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Apart from that, we don't have much to do software-wise — I'm 99% certain it's a hardware problem. You could try updating the BIOS, though it may not be the best idea as the computer could restart suddenly halfway through the update.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 Lezalit

Lezalit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:05 PM

Thanks for your reply.  "the system completely lose power" is a good desription. No lights or fan Activity after the crash, completely dead and quiet.

I will look into the alternatives you mention during the weekend.

edited for clarification.

Edited by Lezalit, 05 January 2018 - 12:06 PM.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for the update.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 Lezalit

Lezalit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:58 PM

Still working on this, some tests take several hours, difficult to find time. Some hints on SSD error.

Will update later.

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:56 PM

Take your time! May I know what exactly the SSD error is?

#7 Lezalit

Lezalit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:34 AM

Here are some results:

Memtest 86 v 7.4 free:

1st pass: no errors (about 1h 20 min).

2nd pass: no errors after 70 %, next time I checked the PC it had shut down.

The 2 next times I started this test the PC shut down after 2 and 5 minutes respectively.

Seagate SeaTools for DOS says "No hard drives found" - strange as Win Explorer shows them as usual.

Seagate SeaTools for Windows:

- Long generic test of HD (about 4 hours) says "Pass" in green letters.

- Long generic test of SSD (not required by Carrona) (17 minutes) says "Fail" in red letters.

GSmart Control (Ultimate Boot CD):

Parted Magic:

- Short Offline Test: Completed without error.

- Extended Offline Test: Completed with read failure (40 % completed). Check the Self-test log for more information. LBA of first error 193651472. (will try to post photos of details.)

- Convergence Self-Test: Completed without error.

Any input is much appreciated!

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:17 PM

Looks like we're dealing with a hardware problem here.

First the SSD, this is the drive that Windows is installed on, right? You'll need to backup your data on it at once and replace it.

Second, since the computer shutdown suddenly during MemTest86, I suspect unknown hardware failure in some other component too. It's quite hard to tell to be honest, so I would suggest that you replace the SSD as the first troubleshooting step.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users